Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #1

Share |

Need header size for a 60" span of a egress window.

I want to install a 60w window in my basement for a egress. This is a load baring wall of a one story ranch. THIS link shows 4 - 2x6's as a header for what looks like a 50" span. Then he has a 2x10 as his shoulder on each end. If I am going 60" can I still get away with 2x6's maybe 5. Or will I have to go bigger like 2x8's. What about engineered Microlam. You can get 12" wide ones that I was thinking of ripping it and double or triple it up. That has to be enough support.

What about a steel I-Beam header? Is that maybe a better option. Will a 4" I-Beam be enough and what about shoulder size?

There is an existing 32" glass block window there now but the top of that is already at grade outside. So the smaller the header the better [hey, that rhymes!]

tjlmbklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

It all depends on what the lintel has to support.

Bearing walls above? How many floors, and how much roof load. It all depends on the situation and you have not given enough information, so all you will get is general answers unless an engineer looks at the real situation. It could be a big load or not too much.

Dick

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
It all depends on what the lintel has to support.

Bearing walls above? How many floors, and how much roof load. It all depends on the situation and you have not given enough information, so all you will get is general answers unless an engineer looks at the real situation. It could be a big load or not too much.

Dick
Well I should add that we will be adding joist hangers to the existing floor joists. As mentioned in my original post, this is just a one story ranch home There is already a 32" glass block window there with no support other than itself.

I am thinking 2 4" I-Beams one used as a temp support to hold the floor joists and then ad that one in later after the 1st beam is in place. We would ideally have the beam run about 3-4" past the block on each end to act as a shoulder. This should be more than enough structural integrity and almost certain it would be over kill.
tjlmbklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
Bombastic Idiot

All a glass block wall can support is itself, they can't support a load. Don't use the wall blocks as a "shoulder," you need at least one jack stud (or trimmer) on each side. How many and what size they or the header should be we can't tell without more info, as concretemasonry sed, notice he used "lintel" masons say lintel, carpenters say header. There's no sucha thing as "just a one story ranch home." It's like buying a nut. "What size? What's it holding?" asks the helpful hardware man. " Just a bolt that screws onto a bolt that holds two pieces of metal together." All kinds of things to consider here. Live load, dead load, snow load, wind load on the roof, a 5' section of wall, floors, openings and there locations in wall above, and even width of house and basement.
I'd check with Weyerhauser B4 modifying Microlam. But here is a link to microlam, there are span charts beginning about page 5 or 6, and more info down around 34 or so. Take a look. Our code inforcement people are real good about giving advice if you ask B4 your plans are final, from what I've seen here at dyi that isn't the case every where, but you could ask, in person usually works best here.
http://www.woodbywy.com/literature/TJ-9000.pdf
notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:05 PM   #5
Haverhill Trade 1965

If this was new construction ranch one floor and roof above 2x6 wall, 3 2x12 with 2 layers of 1/2" cdx would be a standard header. Almost every lumber yard has engineered lumber books that would give the equivalent. If it is going into a concrete wall 2 jacks are needed for room for trim.
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #6

you cannot rip laminated veneer lumber. check with the manufacturer's specifications

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:37 PM   #7

Meet minimum code for safety, if no concrete load: http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic...002_par021.htm

Gary