Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2011, 01:15 PM   #1

Share |
Cool

Need a guesstimate

I just purchased 2.5 acres of land in CA just north of Edwards AFB and want to build my own home; I already have the plans in hand which will be changed some what.

The blue prints call's for a crawl space and I want a full basement.

It is a two story home with garage on slab. The homes deminsions are approx 65' x 20' and I want a basement with 7 foot ceiling as I will be adding a wine cellar and in home winery in the basement; so it will need to be waterproofed and insulated.

The home will be totally off the grid solar/wind power, well water & septic tank. I will want the septic & leach fields dug at the same time as the basement and foundation.

What I am looking for is a rough guesstimate of what I am looking at the the dig and prep?

Here is an artists rendention of what the house will look like...

Thanks guys!

TheBrewNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:30 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Need a guesstimate

Quote:
What I am looking for is a rough guesstimate of what I am looking at the the dig and prep?
You mean like a cost estimate? If so, I suggest you contact a few excavation companies in your area. If this was my project, the cost to excavate would be whatever diesel fuel used for the equipment for after all this is a DIY site.

btw: I know guys that charge $75/hour for an excavator and I know guys that charge $200/hour. What somebody charges you is going to be very location and even contractor specific. That is why you need to get a bid or estimate locally.

I like the look of the house though. Got a place I could go and look at the layout of the house? Not sure about the "20'" wide but it might be workable if the layout is good.

edit: I would suggest at least an 8' basement. Once you consider any supporting steel (if applicable) you lose a foot for that. If you want to put a drop ceiling in, I would use the 8' even if there is no steel

Last edited by nap; 03-10-2011 at 01:35 PM.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:52 PM   #3

Need a guesstimate

NAP;

I'm debating on wiether I want to dig myslef or hire someone to do it but I want to make sure the foundation is done right but the actual construction of the home I plan on doing myself, everything from framing, electrical, plumbing and finish work. I just want to make sure its not going to come down at the first breeze!

The house is a total of 2032 sq feet on an open floor plan with the master bed / bath and an office/den on the upper floor and a roof top patio, the main floor has the guest bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, dining and living area.

The lot is 2.5 acres in the desert I can send you the blue prints in .pdf form if youd like to check them out? Just shoot me an email TheBrewNinja@gmail.com

I see your in SW MI! I'm in Detroit-Murderous myself. I'm looking to sell my three homes here to move to Cali and buil a new home!

Last edited by TheBrewNinja; 03-10-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:57 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

Need a guesstimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrewNinja View Post

I see your in SW MI! I'm in Detroit-Murderous myself. I'm looking to sell my three homes here to move to Cali and buil a new home!
Motor city? Ha!!

If you hang around long enough, it sounds like most people will move from inner urban to suburban, or even rural with never having moved. I see pictures of Detroit that are saddening. Some really grand old buildings simply gone and discarded.

there are a couple guys that post here that might be able to give yuo some reasonable estimate of time which can be converted to $$ with simple math. I'll have to contact you on the plans.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:20 PM   #5
Experienced

Need a guesstimate

Basement in California, do you have a blasting permit?

You know it shakes there don't you?

Mark
Old 03-10-2011, 04:27 PM   #6

Need a guesstimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofall1 View Post
Basement in California, do you have a blasting permit?
You know it shakes there don't you?
Mark
Good then I wont have to do as many punch downs on my fermenting wines!

Out in the desert I'm hoping it wont be to rocky when I dig if not I'll find a way to get it dug! I can male my own eh' "digging devise" out of simple items!
Old 03-10-2011, 07:31 PM   #7

Need a guesstimate

The house is nice, but how's your building experience? sometimes it takes blood and guts to see these jobs through.
bernieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:17 PM   #8

Need a guesstimate

I worked for a while as a carpenter; studies house wiring and plumbing for a while and I use to work as a property manager and had to do a lot of repair works in apartments, homes and even a cinema.

i know it will be time consuming, back breaking and teadeaus but you cant truly say something is your if you didnt build it yourself!