Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-26-2011, 07:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Need to fill a small crack in foundation

So... this is where the waste pipe in my basement goes through the foundation to the outside world:

When it rains very hard I get some water in the basement coming from this corner. Not a lot, but enough to make the floor wet and annoy my wife when she goes down there. I had a good look at it today and realized that it looks like when the pipe was installed, they cemented all around it except for one small area, and there's a hole in that area:

There's stains on the wall where the water has been leaking so I'm positive that this is where the water is coming from. Outside I've done some work to keep the water away from the foundation, but I still need to fix this hole. Is this something I can do myself with some product I can get at the local Home Depot or Lowes? Or would I need a pro to take care of it?

mikelbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:50 AM   #2

Hydraulic cement will work. Better if you can apply it from both sides, but the interior will do. You'll need to drill out a wider opening, making sure the walls are parallel to one another. The deeper the better, but at least an inch.
If the grading outside is good and no water collects near the foundation, the solution should last for up to 7-8 years.

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 07:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Hydraulic cement will work. Better if you can apply it from both sides, but the interior will do. You'll need to drill out a wider opening, making sure the walls are parallel to one another. The deeper the better, but at least an inch.
If the grading outside is good and no water collects near the foundation, the solution should last for up to 7-8 years.
How much wider do I need to drill it out?
Old 11-28-2011, 08:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelbeck View Post
How much wider do I need to drill it out?
I'd make it at least 1/2" at a 1" depth. The walls need to be parallel for the force of the expanding cement to work.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
I'd make it at least 1/2" at a 1" depth. The walls need to be parallel for the force of the expanding cement to work.
Got it, thanks!