Need Feedback On New Windows - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2008, 02:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need Feedback on New Windows

Building a house in GA up near a lake and was shown Therma Tru windows by contractor. I wasn't impressed with what he showed us and did some research on Consumer Reports.

I want to know which window would be the best to put in my house. I am not looking at custom windows, so they would be standard windows. The windows I am looking at are Pella, Anderson, American Craftsman, Jeld-wen and Marvin. Does anyone have an opinion on any of these windows? I am looking at either wood clad or fiberglass. Anything anyone could give me would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Scott

Advertisement

Hoyacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:36 PM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyacoach View Post
Building a house in GA up near a lake and was shown Therma Tru windows by contractor. I wasn't impressed with what he showed us and did some research on Consumer Reports.

I want to know which window would be the best to put in my house. I am not looking at custom windows, so they would be standard windows. The windows I am looking at are Pella, Anderson, American Craftsman, Jeld-wen and Marvin. Does anyone have an opinion on any of these windows? I am looking at either wood clad or fiberglass. Anything anyone could give me would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Scott
Anderson, Pella & Marven Are the only windows I install. The One I like the most is the Marven Ultimate Clad Double Hung's. I Like there tilt in feature. I'm Not up on any of the other companies. BOB

Advertisement

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 528

I second Bob's picks for windows. Download information on all three from company websites and compare features and specifications. Once you see what features are available, then choose between double pane to triple pane of those brands to see which manufacturer has the most and best standard features.
10 years ago, I purchased a "Pella" sliding wood clad door and am very please with it still.
3 years ago, I had all my double hung windows replaced with replacement windows. The only complaint I have with their double hungs is that their tilt feature is not easy to use. Mine have vinyl side strips that hug the window too tight, making it difficult to tilt. I made up a wooden wedge to push the vinyl in, to make it easier to tilt. Since then, the manufacturer may have improved on this.
Look for stores that have demostration windows on display.
Don't forget the specifications, they are just as important as the features.
rjordan392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:48 AM   #4

Thanks RJ. Very helpful and I will try and find stores so I can see the product first hand. Thanks again.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:51 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

I have Anderson double hung windows that are vinyl clad outside and wood inside that are 13 years old now. Wish I had the tilt in feature enough to pay extra on a new build I'm going to do. I haven't had any problems with these windows at all-no broken seals etc. and they seem to have really good insulating value.
I just checked Marvin hurricane windows and found they just bought a new comany called Integra, I believe. They are about 15% or so less expensive.
Had crank out casement windows on a prior house and hated them. The seals all broke within 3 years, and crank handles tend to get stripped if opened and closed alot (builder windows) it was cheaper to sell the house and move. LOL
agrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:39 PM   #6

Thanks for that information. I was thinking about Pella, but after doing some research it appears that many people have problems with those windows. I was leaning toward Marvin and Anderson and you have probably pushed me toward the Andersons. Thanks again.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:55 PM   #7
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Before You make your decision look at the windows first hand. look at both tilt in feature. I had a customer that wanted the Anderson tilt-in double hung only because she did not want to wait for the Marvin's. two years later she hired me to replace them with Marvin. She developed arthritis and could no longer tilt them in to wash the. Something to think about. BOB Oh Another window company that is just like marvin is called Eagle Window who was bought by Anderson.

Last edited by buletbob; 07-25-2008 at 09:57 PM.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:46 PM   #8

Thanks Bob. I will check on this other company too. Actually I shouldn't have said i was leaning toward Anderson, as the price difference is only $50 between the top rated Anderson and the top rated Marvin. I will definitely look into both and that new company they just bought. Thanks again.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:24 AM   #9

Where do I find the R value in windows? From what I am told, this is something that can vary greatly in windows. Thanks.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:05 PM   #10

Each manufacturer should be able to give you the R value of the window you are looking at.
For Georgia you will want the window to have some tint for helping with the sun. Usually it is light and you can't tell unless your really looking for it and then you'll notice the diff.
There are double and triple glazed (glass) windows. I have doubles with low E argon gas in btw--this helps with the R value also. The strip btw the glass around the edges (if you look btw the 2 pieces of glass) is a metal strip. Have had not a bit of problems.
Had a house in Florida near the beach and it had rubber btw the 2 pieces of glass-- these gaskets got too hot btw the double glass and began popping out. No way to get it back in that I know of except get a new window. The house was only 7 years old when I sold it.
We have hot summers and very cold winters in Mich. so mine get tested out at both ends.
Ask the manf. to point out the quality differences and meet your needs. There is mediocre quality, good quality, and over kill quality. What's resonable for what and where you are building??
Old 12-28-2008, 02:14 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrace View Post
I have Anderson double hung windows that are vinyl clad outside and wood inside that are 13 years old now. Wish I had the tilt in feature enough to pay extra on a new build I'm going to do. I haven't had any problems with these windows at all-no broken seals etc. and they seem to have really good insulating value.
I just checked Marvin hurricane windows and found they just bought a new comany called Integra, I believe. They are about 15% or so less expensive.
Had crank out casement windows on a prior house and hated them. The seals all broke within 3 years, and crank handles tend to get stripped if opened and closed alot (builder windows) it was cheaper to sell the house and move. LOL
Did you know Andersen Windows makes a conversion kit for the old narroline windows made from 1968 or newer windows. They are very easy install, first one I every did installed in aprox 11 min, does not include staining, or cleaning up. Check into it, the kits is two sashes and two jamb liners, and your chice of GBG or prefinished white interior.
EMILY P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 02:19 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyacoach View Post

Scott
I believe Pella Windows is in a Class Action Law Suit - Pella tried to get the case dismissed, but it currently on going and the there is a web page asking for Pella Consumers with rotting windows to sign up and send pictures. There many consumers, who have but Pella Windows and the windows are rotting from the inside out with in 10 years. check out all the blogs and pictures for yourself, hopefully you choose Andersen or Marvin.
EMILY P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:33 AM   #13

I have looked at several windows for Impact costal area. Simonton windows are well rated by JD Powers and Assoc. They come in white and tan, and are ordinary. Although colors are limited they work well. GPT has decreased their price recently and are supposed to be good, again limited in color and ordinary. These are both more in the economy line but have lots of sizes. Kolbe, Pella, Marvin are good windows lots of colors and sizes and nearly 900 or more per window vs 350 or so for the other two in a comparitive 3'x6' window. If your feeling cash heavy buy as you please. If your staying in your house more than 15 yrs buy whatever makes you happy.
I tend to use money to get a nice feature that gets a wow factor and buy windows that are fairly well made and have a 20 year gaurantee. Some people will crab about this but installation done poorly is the biggest factor in failure.
Just make sure you don't pick a window that is wood on the outside. I did that once along time ago. I repeat I did that once!! I don't repeat bad mistakes twice.
I've looked at all of them! Some were difficult to work mechanisms to let the window tip in. That can be a deciding factor too.
Best of Luck
Old 12-29-2008, 09:45 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrace View Post
Simonton windows are well rated by JD Powers and Assoc.
JD Powers is not an impartial evaluator. Trusting one of their ratings is just about like trusting a company because they have a Better Business Bureau sticker. Both are likely to provide favorable evaluations for their clients/members. Ever seen JD Powers give a bad rating on a car?
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:19 PM   #15
fhi vinyl windows

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
JD Powers is not an impartial evaluator. Trusting one of their ratings is just about like trusting a company because they have a Better Business Bureau sticker. Both are likely to provide favorable evaluations for their clients/members. Ever seen JD Powers give a bad rating on a car?
They can't give a bad rating, their clients are charged way to much for the rating. Ask any past JD Powers client why they are not currently rated and they will complain about the money that they charge.

Advertisement

fhivinylwindows is offline   Reply With Quote