Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2008, 02:41 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Marlin
Share |

Need to extend garage slab, concrete question

I'm not sure what forum to put this in or if I'm using the correct terminology here. Many years ago my garage had sliding doors as evidenced by the metal track. The track made it very difficult for me to roll things in and out of the garage as it stuck up half an inch or so. Today I ripped it out. I then cleaned most of the dirt out and found some cement in real lousy shape about 2" down. I could break it up and get it out to dig further but I didn't want to do it only to find out I didn't have to.

What would be the best thing to do here to get cement in there without having it crack down the road?
Do I need to drill into the slab and anchor rebar in there before pouring?
What would be the best type of cement to use?

Last edited by Marlin; 04-05-2008 at 02:43 PM.
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 05:09 AM   #2
conc repr & dec conc

Send a message via AIM to dec-conc-artisan Send a message via Yahoo to dec-conc-artisan

extremely difficult repair as you're exposed to wide temp swings on the island,,, start by getting rid of all the deteriorated conc,,, suggest you use polymer-modified extended w/3/8" clean stone,,, if you can answer the above, can suggest more,,, thanks

dec-conc-artisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 05:52 AM   #3

What do you want me to answer?
Our temperatures are usually thirty degrees at a low in the winter to ninety as a high in the summer. They don't fluctuate too much day to day or even day vs night, more so season to season. On rare occasions the temperature will drop down a little lower or go a little higher.
By getting rid of the deteriorated concrete you mean I should dig down deeper and pull everything out? How deep should I go?
Old 04-06-2008, 06:28 AM   #4
conc repr & dec conc

Send a message via AIM to dec-conc-artisan Send a message via Yahoo to dec-conc-artisan

for 13yrs so no need to explain temp swings,,, sgle or dble garage, tho ? ? ?
dec-conc-artisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:50 AM   #5

As I understand it,your just going to fix or pour that small gap between concrete??Like about 6-8 inches wide?? so that it doesnt crack for something like this,,,I would dig down real deep,,,was thinking 8-10 inches to give it some heft,,,it is going to take a pounding every time you drive over the unequal surfaces. Even a foot or more is better than TOO thin and weak. Right or wrong I wouldnt tie it to either slab to make replacing any of the 3 different pieces easier(if worse comes to worse). A firm good base is MORE important,,,NO loose dirt down there. IF you can get down another 4 inches and put a 4" layer of playbox sand. I am guessing you dont have MUCH frost heave THERE vs here where it gets 20 below for long periods!!

If your sub soil is really boggy and not a good support,might even go deeper and or MORE sand in depth!! YOUR not talking ALOT of product for a small space as that,,,unless your talking taking out entire front slab and redoing that!! IF thats what your doing I would still put this part DEEP like a self footing,,,I like edges of all crete down an extra spade depth to help keep rodents out and sides firmer!!

JUST what "I" would do!!(a duffas DIY type guy)
justdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec-conc-artisan View Post
for 13yrs so no need to explain temp swings,,, sgle or dble garage, tho ? ? ?
It's an oversize single or undersized double. I call it a 1.5 car garage.

Last edited by Marlin; 04-06-2008 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:59 PM   #7

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

It does not take rocket science.

Just dig it out as deep as reasonable (6"-8"?). Makes sure the soil is not just dirt and compact a couple of inches of gravel. If you are lucky, you will find concrete down there.

Get it clean by getting rid of the dirt and dust.

Mix bags of Quikrete and dump it in and consolidate (rod it) the concrete, and then smooth it off. Do not make the concrete too wet.

You will end up with a minor crack between the old and new, but no matter what you do it will hold whatever loads you put on it.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 04:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
It does not take rocket science.

Just dig it out as deep as reasonable (6"-8"?). Makes sure the soil is not just dirt and compact a couple of inches of gravel. If you are lucky, you will find concrete down there.
There is concrete. You are looking at the concrete in the picture with a very thin layer of dust/dirt ontop of it. The concrete is in lousy shape though. Should it be removed then?
Old 05-03-2008, 07:13 PM   #9

Well it's done.
First I dug down 6" and pulled out a bunch of broken cement that was down there. Then I then tamped the dirt, soaked the trench, waited for it to dry, tamped it again. Next I then cleaned everything off well so it was free of dirt/debris. I mixed Portland cement and sand 5 to 1. There was nothing like the aforementioned polymer modified extended available. For the sand I chose one with clean stone mixed in. So with the first batch of cement mixed I wet the existing slab and gravel just a little bit to help promote adhesion. So I poured 4" of cement, put in some wire mesh, then poured another 2" of cement and floated it out.

I wasn't planning on using mesh originally but I discovered my garage is actually a new slab poured over an old one. The old one is about 4" and the new one is about 1.5". The line wasn't even so in some spaces my cement was only 1.5" thick. I think the mesh will help provide strength and hold it together in the thin spots.

So is there anything I should or should not have done? Right now it's covered and the garage is closed but I'll get a picture up here tomorrow.

I ended up buying twice as much material as I needed so now I've got a quarter yard of sand and a bag of cement in the back of my truck. Anyone have any interesting ideas?

Last edited by Marlin; 05-03-2008 at 07:37 PM.