Need To Double Existing Rafter, New One Won't Fit - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2009, 11:31 AM   #1
Ohming

Rewards Points: 25

Need to double existing rafter, new one won't fit

I am adding shed dormers and will double some of my existing rafters and add some as well for strength and enhaced ventilation.

The new rafters are too long to wriggle in diagonaly and slide over to join to the existing rafters. I can't be the first guy this has happenend to, what to do?

Advertisement

Ohming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,278

I'm bumping this to the top for you cause I'd like to know how folks deal with it too. Sounds easy - just sister in another rafter. But there's not much room.

Off the top of my head I'm thinking you could get some extra wiggle room by cutting the new rafter 1 1/2" short at the ridge end and the sliding in a 2x (same height as ridge board) sistered against the ridge board after the rafter is in position. But I don't know if an engineer would approve.

Advertisement

jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:56 PM   #3
Ohming

Thanks for the tip jogr. The inspector came by and approved my method.

I wound up double sistering on one side of the existing 4x8 rafter to hold the side wall of my shed dormer. The added 2x's were 4" too short to slide in.. I shortened them on the floor side at the wall plate. I stacked 2x's flat on the floor at the wall plate to rest the added rafter boards on. My floor is made of t&g 2x6 so the weight will spread well.
Ohming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:11 PM   #4

the only way i have ever made it work be "right" is to remove boxing from outside and slide it up. it's the only way i know if you can't brace the rafter another way.
ropers is offline   Reply With Quote