Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-16-2009, 09:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

need basement support posts

Where can I get new construction style, NONADJUSTABLE basment support posts? About how much are they? I know I can get the adjustable ones for about $45 and don't want to spend anymore than that. It'd be nice to get the solid ones though.

Carter Lumber, 84 Lumber?

I'll just cement the adjustment bolt if I use the adjustable ones, I believe this is standard practice?

Gotta go 6'9" (81")

johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:51 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,074

You need help!!!

Your are going to "cement" them in place to what?

What are they supporting? If they are for a new location you have have something under them there than a concrete floor of unknown thickness with probablt no soil supporting the slab for walking on, but not enough to support a new post.

Are you trying to replace some you do not like and are just shopping for some reason?

Dick

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:25 PM   #3

If you install the adjustable head down (footing side), pouring concrete around it to infill the slab will "lock" the adjustable portion in place. When I built my house a few years ago, I followed this method.

I think your best bet is sticking with the adjustables. A steel fabricator would need to make a one piece non-adjustable column. In order to have the ability to adjust for level in the field, you would need to fab the columns a hair short and use shim plates under the base plate.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:21 PM   #4

The old basement slab is severly water damaged from standing water for a few years. The posts were rusted through. I pinned the beam with 4x4s, gave the old post one little whack and they cracked in half at the base. i dug out the old pads, poured new ones and will cement the adjustable posts' bolt below the new slab that's being poured next week.

stubborn1, yeah I guess you're right I'll just stick with the adjustable posts I already have. I only have a week, I didn't know they needed to be fabricated custom, I thought maybe someone would have precut lengths.

Oh well, thanks!
johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote