DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Need assistance determining header specifications

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  mrgins 
#1 ·
I'm doing some remodelling and one of the projects I have is converting the unused "pocket" spaces on both sides of a bay window area into usable space for shelving.
The area itself is on the top floor of a three story rowhome in philadelphia that has a flat roof (so have to account for snow load). A link to a picture is posted at the end of this article so you can get a good idea of the space in question.

Each pocket area is roughly 5ft across. The existing framing is old school 2 3/4 x 3 3/4.

My current plan for each "pocket" area, is to remove the two middle studs (after building a temporary support), use 2x6's for the king and jack studs, and span the distance with a header made up of 2 2x12's sandwitching 1" thick plywood.
I'm not an engineer, so I have no idea of this set up would support the load correctly or if this would be overkill so I thought I'd post here to see if someone could provide some assistance.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/3334/bayarea.jpg

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.