Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2010, 10:34 AM   #1

Share |

Need advise: Additional support for existing lally column

Hi all
I'm hoping to get some right advice on my issue.
I'm about to finish basement and I have middle lally column slightly inclined away from vertical.
Look at attached pictures and you will understand what I mean.

Total length of basement is 41 feet. Looks like builders did not have that long I beam and they installed 2 resting on the middle columns. In total I have 3 columns. Looking how did they bolted those 2 ibeams it and from the bolt pattern I 'm thinking that they where originally installed not aligned.

I did not notice any sagging (yet) and I have no idea when this incline happened. The house is about 30 years old.

Before closing this column into the box I was thinking installing 2 extra jack posts on sides supporting each ibeam right next to lally column. I think that I can put it right on concrete floor as column should have footing under it.

I will appreciate any comments.
Attached Thumbnails
Need advise: Additional support for existing lally column-1.jpg   Need advise: Additional support for existing lally column-2.jpg   Need advise: Additional support for existing lally column-3.jpg   Need advise: Additional support for existing lally column-4.jpg   Need advise: Additional support for existing lally column-5.jpg  

Need advise: Additional support for existing lally column-6.jpg  
vluzhko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:52 AM   #2

It's been that way for 30 years, so I don't think it's going anywhere. I don't think it needs any further support. If I were to do anything, I would remove the post, have a plate welded to the bottom and install it plumb.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:04 AM   #3

I would take the column out and reinstall the correct way.
Don't assume you have a footing under your floor unlesss you are sure you have a continuous footing the length of your house.

David

Last edited by Gary in WA; 05-17-2012 at 10:58 PM. Reason: removed web link
DeanColumn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #4
DIY staff

Ron is right---the iron work is frequently out of line and out of plumb---without any real effect on the structural integrity of the house.

Unless the house is sagging,leave it alone and allow for the out of plumb column when framing and finishing---
Old 05-17-2012, 07:44 AM   #5
DIY or die !

looks better than my basement !
lewisthepilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:54 AM   #6
DIY staff

I just noticed that this is a real old thread---2010--
Old 05-17-2012, 07:56 AM   #7
AHH, SPANS!!!

a slightly out of plumb( vertically aligned) column support like that is no problem at all, it has been there for however long with no problems apparently, just not to good to look at. It is best to do as another poster mentioned and frame your wall accordingly as determined by the out of plumb post. on each side of the post at the direction of the lean plumb up from the bottom of the post to determine the wall location ( top plate)on that side and then plumb down from the top of the post to determine location ( bottom plate )

so, the top of the post on one side determines bottom plate layout for the the wall and the bottom of the post on the other side determines top plate layout, see what i mean? your entire wall thickness will be determined by how much out of plumb the post is.

oops, old thread.. I'm sure they figured it out by now
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote