Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2011, 02:35 PM   #1

Share |

Need advice on a wall that was moved.

My mo-in-law had a second floor with 3 rm, 2 bath (including the Master Bed/Bath). She took the 2 bedrooms and created a new Master with a walk-in closet, and moved the existing Master Bath wall about 3' further to make the MBa bigger. The person doing the drywall, IMHO didn't finish the seam correctly where the old MBa wall had been removed, so it looks like the ceiling is 'drooping' all the way across the room (at most about 3/8"). He also did not plug the existing roof vent for plumbing and there has been some cracking in one spot due to the water coming in. Long story short, a handy man that came in to do some other improvements has told her that the MBa wall that was moved was a bearing wall and that a roof truss is sagging, and that is why she can see the 'drooping' all the way across the ceiling. She is pi***d because he has told her there is no possible way to fix it.

I have told her that it makes no sense that a bearing wall would be running parallel with a single truss on the 2nd floor, and that it is just the mud from the seam that wasn't sanded down good enough. She swears on her life that the new handy man is telling the truth, and won't have it any other way. How can I prove that it was poor craftsmanship from the first contractor, and that it is just an aesthetic issue she will have to deal with for now?? Hopefully my sketch can show the layout to give a good enough idea what was changed. The footprint of the 2nd level is the footprint of the foundation, and the 1st floor bearing wall runs from left to right (in parallel with the ridge of the roof trusses. Any advice to end this madness would be greatly appreciated.

racer

Attachment 40076Punch Design.pdf

Last edited by racer220; 10-25-2011 at 02:41 PM.
racer220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

First question is, were there permits pulled? The other is from the sounds of your story, it was unlicensed work that was done. Really need pictures showing the problem. As for fixing the seams, it depends on how they did the patch, after the walls were removed, in how good they are able to hide them. Especially if the ceiling is popcorn or orange pealed, which will make it harder to hide the seams.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #3

Long story short, this was an 'inside job' that my boss (a.k.a. - also my mo-in-law) used our own crew and some other contacts to do on some down time to save costs. No permits were pulled for anything. The seam was done after the wall was removed. I believe they just left the top 2x4 nailed up and filled in the seam about the thickness of a sheet of rock. It was only floated out about 3-4" each side, but looks like they just applied too many layers of mud. I don't have access to a picture, but it just looks like a horribly mudded/sanded seam. I also know one of the workers just happened to remember never covering the vent tube to the roof, which is where the paint is starting to crack from water seepage. Aside from the other technical aspects of job itself, does the layout portray a wall that would have been a bearing wall? That seems to be her biggest irritant over all the other things done wrong on this job. Thx for the reply
Old 10-25-2011, 03:08 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Short answer, you get in return what you paid for.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
racer220 (10-25-2011)
Old 10-25-2011, 03:32 PM   #5

Couldn't have said it better myself lol. I saw how the job was going, and decided that staying out on the golf course would be a better idea than sticking around for the drama to unfold. Only problem with having a mo-in-law for a boss though, is sometimes the issues resonate to me even after the time card is punched. I'm just glad I wasn't part of this project.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:32 PM   #6

Based on your drawings I don't see any way those walls that were moved were load bearing. The biggest problem with this seams is that the 2x4s were left in place and the gap repaired with mud! The only way to really fix it correctly is to pull it out and splice in new sheetrock and refinish it.

Msradell is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Msradell For This Useful Post:
racer220 (10-25-2011)