Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-13-2009, 11:45 AM   #1
dIYHell

Share |

need advice for nice looking door stop

I am going to use some ikea closets with glass doors in my entry way. My front door swings open towards these closets. weve talked alot about the functionality of this and its really not a problem except for an occasional overzealous opening of the door. For this reason I am looking for some kind of door stop.

I can't put one on the floor since it will get in the way of the closet doors swinging open.

The solution has to look nice since the door is a focus in the great room and anything around or attached to it will be apparent.

Im thinking if there is something I can put on the bottom close to the bottom the door frame, do they make stops like this? any suggestions for a good website to find this kind of hardware?
Attached Thumbnails
need advice for nice looking door stop-entryway.jpg  

rocketdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:25 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Ayuh,... Donno where to find 'em,..
But,...
I've seen door stops that mount to the door Hinge to do what you're lookin' for...

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:53 PM   #3
dIYHell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
I've seen door stops that mount to the door Hinge to do what you're lookin' for...
Ok I see a solution called Hinge Pin Door Stop. anyone with experience with this do I need to get longer hinge pin to mount? would molding on the door interfere with it?
rocketdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:37 PM   #4
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Here's a link to Glynn-Johnson's catalog.

http://www.glynn-johnson.com/pdf/2002_gj_overhead.pdf

Check out the 90 series on page 14. Hinge pin door stops tend to tear out hinge screws and dent doors.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:27 PM   #5

You don't need a longer pin. The hinge door stop is only about 3/8 of an inch thick so it will still allow the pin to hold the hinge togeather. All you have to do is to pop the pin out of the hinge and put the pin through the door stop and replace the pin in the hinge. Once the pin is replaced you will want to adjust the screw adjustment to make sure that the door stops at the proper place. One thing to remember is that there might be a little flexing in the door and stop, so make sure when you are testing it let it swing a little into the stop to make sure that it won't hit anything. Other than that these work pretty well.
RobQuillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:36 AM   #6

the hinge door pin stoppers work well for infrequently opened, or hollow doors. However, the weight of an outside door swinging open (blowing open at times too) 'may' possible dent your door, but will 'likely' damage your door trim moulding. Haven't thought of a way around this, unless you somehow place a reinforcing block on the wall where the door stop hits (blend it into your trim). Buy a good quality stopper, not the ones with two small rounded ends. you should be able to buy the ones with wider flat rubber surfaces to help to prevent damage. One thing you could try is placing two on the door at the top pin and bottom pin to distribute the force against the trim when opening the door, but I've never tried it to see if it would help though.
DIYguy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:44 AM   #7

I usually install multiple door stops on heavy doors. Sometimes I put one on all the hinges, depending on how heavy the door is. This helps with the denting issue. However if you get a real heavy swing going with the door then you still can have some damage.

RobQuillin is offline   Reply With Quote