Need Advice -home Inspector Pointed A Problem - Metallic Pole Not Supporting Beam - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2012, 10:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need advice -home inspector pointed a problem - metallic pole not supporting beam

Need advice -home inspector pointed a problem - metallic pole not supporting beam in the unfinished area of the basement.

The house is 10 years old - Pulte builder.

We are buying the house as 2nd owner, and home inspector pointed a structural problem in the unfinished area of the basement where the heater etc is present...
a iron pole not supporting the beam.

The pole is not aligned central to the beam, a metallic plate is fit under the beam and only 1/4th of the plate is resting on the pole. If it was a perfectly aligned the pole holes could be riveted to the beam holes. But this is not the case. Holes are just showing up.

Attached is the picture.

Please advice - whether it is serious and if so how it needs to be rectified. We are even doubting how it even passed through county inspection.

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice -home inspector pointed a problem - metallic pole not supporting beam-atta1.jpg  

Advertisement

skRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Need advice -home inspector pointed a problem - metallic pole not supporting beam

picture of bottom needed and full pic of poll.

Advertisement

Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 632

What is the black material under that post bracket?
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:26 AM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Do you have the original plans? It may be no more than a "fail safe" measure someone stuck in there, and not even a part of the requirements of the plans.

If there's been no problem for ten years........... It's doubtful you'll ever have one.

If, on the other hand, the post was stuck in there to "fix" a problem......... then it bears further scrutiny.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #5
retired union carpenter

Rewards Points: 250
Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

looks to me like lolly column needs welded to the beam. might need to remove some wood?
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:49 AM   #6

Posting some other pictures..
the black one seen is the actual beam.
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice -home inspector pointed a problem - metallic pole not supporting beam-atta2.jpg   Need advice -home inspector pointed a problem - metallic pole not supporting beam-att3.jpg   Need advice -home inspector pointed a problem - metallic pole not supporting beam-atta4.jpg  
Old 02-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #7
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,180

Those pictures are too fuzzy to make out what is going on. You either need a better flash unit, or put the camera on a tripod, or get a different camera. I can't even tell from the pictures if the lally column is supporting a wooden beam or a steel beam. The top of the lally column looks like a home made bracket, never seen one quite like it before.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (02-27-2012), Hardway (02-27-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 12:15 PM   #8

The pole/column is supporting the dark iron beam.

The steel beam like structure is not a beam but the heating aluminium duct.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:20 PM   #9

Also Daniel Holzman - please look at the first picture which is more clear..atta1.jpg. The dark part above the pole is the beam. Thanks
Old 02-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

can one of these be put in place?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_97323-46417-...acks&facetInfo=

Last edited by Hardway; 02-27-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #11
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,144

Can't speak for everywhere, but that column top is just a simple "tab" top that was extremely common here for many years. No longer legal on new construction, but certainly compliant on a home ten years old. The maleable steel "tabs" are simply bent over the beam to hold it in place until it's loaded. As for this column, It seems extremely odd that the floor masons didn't straighten it out before pouring the floor, that's pretty fundamental. Not real easy to fix now though, w/o removing a little concrete floor.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jomama45 For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (02-27-2012), Willie T (02-27-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #12
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,180

Jomama, interesting that you have seen such a tab top, I have never seen one. Are they supposed to be used by bending the tabs over the flange of the steel I-beam? That might make some sense as a mechanism to ensure positive engagement of the pole to the I-beam. What I see here, unless the photo deceives, is that the steel I beam is supported on the tops of the tabs, which looks totally wrong, and based on what you have seen, may not be the normal way to install the tab top.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:45 PM   #13
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
Jomama, interesting that you have seen such a tab top, I have never seen one. Are they supposed to be used by bending the tabs over the flange of the steel I-beam?

Yes, the tabs are intended to be bent over the upper side of the bottom flange of the beam. They are really just intended to hold the beam until it is loaded with weight. No doubt that bolting or welding is a better solution, but the tabs always served their purpose as well.

That might make some sense as a mechanism to ensure positive engagement of the pole to the I-beam. What I see here, unless the photo deceives, is that the steel I beam is supported on the tops of the tabs, which looks totally wrong, and based on what you have seen, may not be the normal way to install the tab top.
I think the ductwork in the picture is playing games with your eyes Dan. The tabs aren't fully bent over in the 180 degree position, likely due to the fact that the post is too far off-center. Here's a "catalog" of "Tiger Brand" posts, you'll need to download & look at page 9, but they show a diagram of what the plate looks like, as well as a few installed correctly:

http://www.tigerbrandjackpost.com/tbjp_catalog_2011.pdf
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:01 PM   #14
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 550
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

The pictures do pretty much suck and someone did a rather wasteful job of framing in the bath and that whole wall under the beam but I think I can make out that the pole is pretty much under the beam bottom flange.
It looks like the tabs for the pole on the back side do not extend past the bottom flange but the center web of the beam is directly on the pole it self. Whether or not is on there "enough" I can't be sure but from what I am able to see it would probably last another few decades or more.

Just guessing though.

Andy.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
I think the ductwork in the picture is playing games with your eyes Dan. The tabs aren't fully bent over in the 180 degree position, likely due to the fact that the post is too far off-center. Here's a "catalog" of "Tiger Brand" posts, you'll need to download & look at page 9, but they show a diagram of what the plate looks like, as well as a few installed correctly:

http://www.tigerbrandjackpost.com/tbjp_catalog_2011.pdf
Actually, the pole is mis-alligned by few inches. So what the builder did is basicaly bent the plate edges one side, so that they go under beam. the weight is not transferring to the pole directly, pole head is covered under the beam by 20-40% it is not centered under the beam. The question is if this need to be fixed, what is the solution? Should we hire a structural engineer and a contractor to fix this issue or a handy-man can do the job?

Advertisement