Need Advice On Framed Windows - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Poll: Basement Windows
Poll Options
Basement Windows

Old 04-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Need advice on framed windows

Hey everyone, I'm new here, I'm doing some framing in the basement and framed out the windows with 2x4, but then I read some guides online on how to do it with king studs and jack studs. The wall is not load bearing just to hold drywall and trim etc. considering how far I've gone is it worth it to take it out and re-do it?

Advertisement

yoshirocks702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #2
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

if that full length stud is attached good at the top of wall then you are good to go, looks nice and strong. not sure what the vertical 2xs on the outside of the full length stud are doing?? nail those good at the top too...

Advertisement

hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Measure the window's height and width with a tape measure. Add three inches to the width you measured and cut three pieces of 2-by-4 lumber to this length. If this is a fresh installation, cut two studs in the wall at the position you wish to install the window. Cut two new wall studs that are the same length as the other wall studs that span from the floor to the ceiling. Place the sill across the cut jack studs so that it snugly fits between the two king studs. Place the trimmer studs on top of the sill so they are pressed flat against each king stud. Now place the two header pieces across the top of the opening up on their edges with their wide sides facing towards you. Apply exterior latex caulking around the interior of the window frame.
leenamark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:45 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the replies! the full length stud is attached to the top and bottom plate.

That vertical 2x4 on the outside of the full length stud is attached to the top plate, I thought i would add it in so we have something solid to bite into in case we use a larger trim casing.

Forgot to mention the window is already in, it looks like the PO did a retrofit so the original wood frame is still there with the vinyl window fit in I cut the framing so that it is flush with the original wood frame. It's all quite strong and I'm leaning towards leaving it alone and not creating more work for myself than needed lol
yoshirocks702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:51 PM   #5
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

Who laid this out??? You are supposed to have a stud every 16 inches on center, not just anywhere you feel like putting them. First stud from end of wall is set at 15.25" then every 16" from that line.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
framing , window