Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-31-2011, 09:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Need advice on fairly large cracks in block wall in basement

I'm looking at buying a house that was a foreclosure and is now owned by the bank. Its up for sale very cheap (actually a duplex) and needs mainly cosmetic rehabbing, which I have done several times before, in fact I have worked on almost every part of a house, except I have never dealt with foundation problems. I'm in WI, where nearly all homes have basements and it gets darn cold during the winter.

The house I'm looking at is a rectangular shape, 3 of the walls are fine but one wall has several cracks, one vertical going from top to bottom, even splitting some of the blocks and a couple of other cracks running mainly horizontally in the spaces between the blocks.

My question is basically what would you think would be the best way to fix this and more importantly, does anyone have a ballpark idea of the cost involved? I need to get my offer in on the house asap and just don't have time to have a basement repair company meet me there to look at it and give me a price. I have no idea if this would be say a $1500 fix or a $15,000 fix-and that would obviously greatly affect what I would pay for the house! Also, the realtor I work with mentioned some sort of metal bracing they use for repairs like this where they brace the entire wall and then you are good for many years. He thought it would be around $3000, but I have no idea if he's close or not!

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

BT5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

If time is of the essence, find another house. That cracking may be a sign of settling, which may go on forever or be many $K to fix. Are there any cracks elsewhere? Floors out of level?

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:04 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,212

horizontal crack is likely from lateral soil pressure while the vertical crack suggests a settling footer,,, neither is earthshaking dealbreaker,,, w/o putting eyes of the wall, reserve $3,500 to include invisible steel-reinforced wall pins & a foundation underpinning - both are fairly diy friendly & can be done for ( materials & rental equip ) approx $ 400,,, our w/site has a diagram - feel free to e for more info.

basement repair companies will likely also want to install a french drain, etc - NEVER agree to their opening price remember steel shoring beams & carbon fiber straps will always be visible & a constant reminder to prospective buyers when you wish to sell good luck !
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:23 AM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,032

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT5150 View Post
He thought it would be around $3000, but I have no idea if he's close or not!

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Even though he's just a realator and his const. experience is likely limited, he's probably more accurate than anyone here will be. I bid jobs like this out for a living, but it's nearly impossible to even guess at one over the internet w/o highly detailed pictures & actual measurements of the deflection of the wall.

I would guess though that the horizontal crack is in a joint about a foot below the exterior grade?
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:33 AM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,300

What side of the house is the wall that has cracks on? Is it on the same side as the adjoining duplex, or front, back or drive? Can you post pictures? Also, has there been a home inspection done by a ASHI inspector, along with having a hvac company come in and do a inspection on the mechanical's? Can you post pictures of the wall in question, and hold or place a ruler with tape to hold, showing how far the widest point of the crack is.

Also, is there any slope to the structure, due to this cracking?
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote