Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-27-2009, 02:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need advice on basement support column problem

I have a vertical support column in the basement that looks like it was originally set in the wrong spot. It supports two beams that come together at a right angle. It is "centered" underneath one of the beams (which is about 3 ft from the masonry block / foundation wall), however it's about 2" off of center under the other (which is about 7 ft from the foundation wall) which has caused it to split. Please take a look at the pictures, can anyone offer advice on a fix for this?
The house is approx 100 yrs old, and I have no idea how long this support has been in place like this.

The column is sitting on a concrete base that is about 1" tall and looks like it is part of the slab.

Any suggestions on a fix?
Attached Thumbnails
Need advice on basement support column problem-05272009215.jpg   Need advice on basement support column problem-05272009209.jpg   Need advice on basement support column problem-05272009210.jpg  

aibrean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:15 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Get a steel adjustable posts and put it under the unsupported part.

This should really sit on a "pad", which is a thicker spot of concrete, but I'd just set it on your floor.
They are adjustable but get one close to the height you need.

If the floor has held on that cracked beam, the weight of it won't push the concrete floor down.

Just don't put a baby grand piano in the room right above here.

VaViaCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:16 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

You could add another post, but you would have to dig for another footer. Using an adjustable column without proper support is useless, it will crack the floor. And adjustable columns are hollow and intended for temporary use only. Or, you add a knee to the existing post, bolted thru the existing, maybe 1/3 the length of the existing post.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:38 PM   #4
Licensed P.E./Home Insp

Rewards Points: 500

I'd look into a small gusseted knee brace made out of steel. If it were my beam, I'd also look into stabilizing the crack with lag bolts. And I'd take the weight of that damaged beam off of the column before I did either of those steps.

If you're in NJ, I could look at it for you.
Aggie67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:04 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,118

Don't use lag bolts. Use through bolts with nuts and washer. Add a second post right beside the existing one. The footer under the existing post is likely large enough for an addtional post.
Old 05-27-2009, 02:55 PM   #6

I agree with Aggie67. You don't know the thickness of slab or how far below the footing is from it. Or if your post is on the edge of the footing now.

I would get some hangers under the notched joists and bearing for the cut floor 2x6?.

Or see if one of these will work:

http://www.strongtie.com/products/co...CL-CCC-CCT.asp Be safe, G
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:24 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Is this what the other posts in the basement look like? That is, is it original and likely has a proper footer, or something that was added later without a proper footing? Or was the original post taken out by someone before they realized it was needed and replaced with a wooden post?
walkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:21 AM   #8
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

I agree that the post appears to be in the wrong place. I also think that it's been there a long time and if it hasn't cracked the concrete that it bears on, then why worry about it? If it's not in the way, I would leave it alone and bolt a 4x6 post next to it the full height. Cut it so it fits snug and bolt it to the existing post in the proper postion to catch the beam as it should. Then I would through bolt the broken corner of the beam with some 1/2" threaded rod, washers and nuts. After that, I wouldn't even be afraid to put my piano on top of it.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 01:21 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 25

Adjustable steel posts are not temporary and will support the whole beam forever.

We have used hundreds.
VaViaCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaViaCo View Post
Get a steel adjustable posts and put it under the unsupported part.

This should really sit on a "pad", which is a thicker spot of concrete, but I'd just set it on your floor.
They are adjustable but get one close to the height you need.

If the floor has held on that cracked beam, the weight of it won't push the concrete floor down.

Just don't put a baby grand piano in the room right above here.

As you can see, the post is sitting on the top of a pier, which they poured a slab around. Same as the furnace. Be safe, G

Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote