Need To Add Insulation Into My Attic - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-08-2010, 10:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Need to add insulation into my attic

I need to add more blown in insulation inside my attic of my 2 story house. While I was up their running cabling I seen it needed some help badly.

Is the kind from lowes that you blow in good enough?

Advertisement

N01B4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:37 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Yes, search previuos posts on this last updated yesterday

Advertisement

Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:02 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemist1961 View Post
Yes, search previuos posts on this last updated yesterday

I searched and cannot find the post you are talking about.
N01B4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:35 PM   #4

Ok, I live in Canada, Attic was R14 blown wool type , 35 years old. Sealed all my pipe, wiring and electrical openings in the attic with spray foam. Increased attic venting to new code, soffits and rooftop, then blew in 35 bags to increase entire 800 ft attic to R50, then insulated the hatch to R50 as well. Took 2 people 1 in attic one at mavhine feeding bales, 5 hours, pick up of material and blower, cleanup and return. Total cost $290 CDN. WELL worth the effort. I qualified for a $750 energy rebate for the attic area as I had an audit done in advance. Check for this in your area before you start.
Anywhere you live , ventilation is also important. Search the site www.buildingscience.com for regional info on insulating and to underestand ventilation as well. There is a correct ratio of soffit or gable venting versus rooftop. Our temp here , east of Detroit goes from +100F summer with high humidity to -30F in winter. Each area is different. House is far more comfortable winter and summer. energy bills are way down ..30 % ???with new HE furnace factored in.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:03 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

Before you go adding more insulation, if not already added you should consider a vapour barrier (which needs to be on the warm side of the insulation (or nearest the occupied space) depending on how easy it is to remove the existing insulation the simplest solution would be remove the present insulation material, lay a vapour barrier according to manufacturers instructions, then replace and add further insulation.

If you decide not to follow the above advice you could find yourself with serious condensation problems which will defeat the whole purpose of the extra insulation. It is likely that you do not have this problem yet as the thickness of the present insulation is allowing sufficient heat to escape and keeps the roof void warm enough that the conditions are not right for condensation to occur. However, once you add the extra insulation you will create ideal conditions for condensation as the added insulation will make the roof void far more colder than perhaps anticipated.

Cause - the insulation material is good at insulating but has poor vapour resistivity and where there is no vapour barrier the moisture laden warm air will reach saturation level as it is cooled down and at some point surface and perhaps interstitial condensation will occur.
hereslookingatU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 08:21 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

No1B4me: the first thing you should do, seeing as how you are in Florida, better known as the 'Sunshine State', because you have lots of it and the humidity that goes with it (and where I understand air conditioners are all the rage) is disregard that post of hereslookingatyou until you tell us what you have now.

Then take a moment to look at some old posts here about insulation in hot humid states, and follow the several links there to information published by authorites on insulation...Or tell us what you see in your attic and we'll give you the best of our knowledge.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:36 AM   #7

The site buildingscience.com will give you really relevant info based on your geographic location. this will include Vapor barrier, Ventilation and Insulation as well as different roof styles.
Vapor barrier is used in some areas and not in others so know your building codes, but that should be a given for any DIY project.
You will find many opinions on vapor barrier on this site but when you look closely you will find there are regional differences as there will be with insulation requirements.
The dupont tyvek site will also give you info under their builder and homeowner FAQ sections, which is broken down by region. Tyvek is an air barrier wrap most commonly used externally but there are also attic products on this site.
Contacting an energy auditor will put you in touch with people who have info on what is required for your area.
Back to insulation, I used blown, there is a new fibregalss pinkk machine with bales that looks really slick at HD... best of luck.
Know your home and watch your step up there.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:00 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,038

Know your weight: http://www.energyguide.com/library/E...SubjectID=8375

Use your zip: http://www.ornl.gov/sci/roofs+walls/...on/ins_16.html

Look at all options: http://www.ornl.gov/sci/roofs+walls/radiant/index.html

Air seal and ventilate with a balanced system: http://www.fureyco.com/content/image...ng_The_Air.pdf

Be safe, Gary

Advertisement