Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2010, 06:17 PM   #1

Share |

name of a type of brick?

Hi there! So this is a random post and I'm sorry if I am intruding on your forum...I am just looking for any help I can find!

So I guess my googling skills are not up to par because I have been trying to find out the name of these cylindrical bricks my mom has and I can't find what they are called! My father (who has since passed) had bought about 50 of them to make a makeshift wine cellar...we now want to get rid of them, but I don't know what to call them when I post them on craiglist to (most likely) give away. I know I can just post the pics in craigslist and someone will probably want them, but I am really curious as to what they're called and how much they are since I can't seem to find anything similar online. They are about a foot long, and about 5 1/4 in in diameter. I've attached pics for visual reference. Any help would be awesome...thanks all!
Attached Thumbnails
name of a type of brick?-brick1.jpg   name of a type of brick?-brick2.jpg  

jantan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
Chicago, IL

name of a type of brick?

Ceramic flue tile:

http://www.superiorclay.com/flue-liners.php

Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 01:43 AM   #3

name of a type of brick?

Michael Thomas you're my hero! that link to the website you posted also had a category called "wine storage tiles" that had the exact same thing with the same dimensions that I was trying to find...thanks so much!!
jantan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:34 AM   #4
Chicago, IL

name of a type of brick?

The difference is that flue tiles are round, square or rectangular, while "wine storage tiles are often hexagonal:

and are often glazed with a decorative finish.
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 10-01-2010 at 06:36 AM.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:37 AM   #5
Concrete & Masonry

name of a type of brick?

Good job Michael, the same manufacturer I would have posted.

Technically, I'd call them 4" clay tile. They were used for many years for drainage, underground plumbing, etc....
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:50 AM   #6

name of a type of brick?

Joe,
Don't your flue liners have spigots and rebates?
stuart45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:59 AM   #7
Concrete & Masonry

name of a type of brick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart45 View Post
Joe,
Don't your flue liners have spigots and rebates?

Honestly Stu, I'm not sure about your terminology.

Maybe you mean what we would call a "hub" for a slide in connection, or a "thimble" for a 90 degree branch?

Either way, clay flues, especially round, are becoming increasingly uncommon here in the states. Rarely ever are full masonry FP's built anymore. Most folks love to cozy-up to the speed of installation and cost savings of zero-clearance "tin boxes".
Old 10-01-2010, 09:28 AM   #8

name of a type of brick?

Joe,
in the picture ou can see the rebate for the spigot of the next liner to sit in.
name of a type of brick?-p_yg14c1_4x3_v1_m56577569830792338.jpg
stuart45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:36 AM   #9
Concrete & Masonry

name of a type of brick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart45 View Post
Joe,
in the picture ou can see the rebate for the spigot of the next liner to sit in.

Well, then the answer is simply NO. Never seen a flue tile like that, our's just stack over each other and can be flipped end for end. I can see the clear advantage to that kind of joint though.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:42 PM   #10

name of a type of brick?

Around here we call them round flue liners or tiles and they come with a shiplap joint same as Stu's
4th gen
4th generation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:25 PM   #11
nap
You talking to me?

name of a type of brick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45 View Post
Well, then the answer is simply NO. Never seen a flue tile like that, our's just stack over each other and can be flipped end for end. I can see the clear advantage to that kind of joint though.
so, would they simply be stacked and aligned by the installer with some sort of masonry mud as a bonding material?

if so, sure seem like those (spigots and returns (gotta love the Brits)) would be very beneficial.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:20 PM   #12

name of a type of brick?

I usually use CPD stove and furnace cement or fireclay between the flat ones
4th gen
4th generation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:31 AM   #13
Chicago, IL

name of a type of brick?

The UK is way ahead of the US s regards some chimney construction details, as for example the common use of through-wall flashings in chimneys.

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 10-03-2010 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:03 AM   #14
Concrete & Masonry

name of a type of brick?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
so, would they simply be stacked and aligned by the installer with some sort of masonry mud as a bonding material?

Yes, typically with fireclay for me.

if so, sure seem like those (spigots and returns (gotta love the Brits)) would be very beneficial.
I agree.