Naivette Needs Help - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2008, 03:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Naivette needs help

Hi,
I'm prepping to paint my house and just had new vinyl windows put in. I need to know whether to caulk between the edge of the actual window and the trim around it. Is this common practice? I know to caulk siding seams and around the window trim and siding, just not sure of the windows themselves. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Advertisement

ksteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:41 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Naivette needs help

Your description is not complete. It sounds like you had vinyl replacement windows installed? If so, then the window and trim point should be caulked.

Advertisement

Old 08-10-2008, 03:39 PM   #3
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Naivette needs help

Since you talk about knowing to caulk the seams between the siding and trim, I guessing you may have had vinyl replacement windows installed in existing window frames? Yes the joint between the windows and the old window jambs should be caulked, and this should have been done by the window installer. Do not scrimp on the quality of the caulking here, there is a lot of movement where these two different materials meet, so use a top quality sealant, not junk "painters caulk". I suggest you go to the window supplier and get what their installers use (or are SUPPOSSED to use) . We use an acrylic urethane called SiroFlex for all our demanding applications, but there are many good products, just depends on what is available in your area.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:37 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Naivette needs help

Thank you!
ksteen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caulking , vinyl , window