Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2011, 11:16 AM   #1
Lost..

Rewards Points: 258

Nails - what size(s) to use for light frame construction?

I'm fixing to do some light wood frame construction. From what I can find, 16d nails seem to be the nails I need. I've done some building of things before and used various nails, but never paid attention to what is correct.

I don't have a nail gun so I will most likely be driving every one of these by hand. I see that cement coated is easier to drive. I'm just not sure what I need.

3.5" nails seem like a good size, but I don't think those will work when nailing two 2x4s together for instance. With a combined board cross section thickness of 3" (1.5+1.5) I would have .5" of nail sticking out the back side. I know this isn't right is it?

On the other hand, a 3.5" nail seems okay for toe nailing or other nailing situations where I might need the extra length.

Suggestions?

J S Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:53 PM   #2
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,270

Quote:
Originally Posted by J S Machine View Post
I'm fixing to do some light wood frame construction. From what I can find, 16d nails seem to be the nails I need. I've done some building of things before and used various nails, but never paid attention to what is correct.

I don't have a nail gun so I will most likely be driving every one of these by hand. I see that cement coated is easier to drive. I'm just not sure what I need.

3.5" nails seem like a good size, but I don't think those will work when nailing two 2x4s together for instance. With a combined board cross section thickness of 3" (1.5+1.5) I would have .5" of nail sticking out the back side. I know this isn't right is it?

On the other hand, a 3.5" nail seems okay for toe nailing or other nailing situations where I might need the extra length.

Suggestions?
12d coated hand nails for framing, you would hate using 16d for the very reason you stated, they are too long.

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,002

I was told once that a general rule of thumb was to use a nail 3x's the thickness of the thinner piece of wood being joined by the nails.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 06:27 PM   #4
KemoSabe

Rewards Points: 500

When doubling 2x members, I like to use 12s and clench the nail point over to pinch the boards. 16s tend to do alot of splitting. 8s are my fastener of choice for toe nailing studs, for instance.
loneframer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:36 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 256

Check out pages 2-4 of chapter six:

http://www2.iccsafe.org/states/newje...l_Frameset.htm
benjamincall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:49 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

16d splitting depends on the hardness of the wood and whether or not you are at the end of a stud. at the ends, do your best to nail across different grains, as opposed to the nail being parallel to the board; that pretty well guarantees a split at the end of a stud. you can always drill the end of the board, too, but that is an obvious pita and an emergency deal. if nailing two studs together, angle the nail instead of going straight across. it will hold better, too, esp if you alternate the direction in which you nail.

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote