Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2012, 09:06 AM   #1

Share |

Nails Vs. Screws For Ceiling Furring Strips

I'm planning to install two layers of 5/8" drywall + Hat Channel + Isolation clips on the ceiling of my home theater. I have an 18" paralam that bisects my room, that hangs down 2" further than the rest of the ceiling, so I am adding 2x4 furring strips so that my first layer of drywall is ~5/8" below the beam. Here's a photo of my current progress and the offending beam.

My question, I've been using 2-1/2" deck screws to attach the furring strips, but it's slow going. I'd much rather use 2-1/2" framing nails as the nail gun will get the job done quicker. I'm just not sure about the holding strength of the nails for the weight that I'm planning to put up there.

Can I use just nails, or should I put up my furring strips with nails and come back and put in 3 or 4 screws in each 2x?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by emagsamurai; 11-30-2012 at 09:19 AM.
emagsamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:19 AM   #2

Ring shank nails would work.
How are you driving the screws?
I'd be using my impact screw gun or a corded drill not a cordless drill if that what you using.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:22 AM   #3

I've been using my cordless as it drives the screws faster (and is lighter than my corded drill ). My impact works great, but it's slower than the drill. It seems to switch to impact as soon as the screw hits the I-beams. I guess the wood is pretty hard. Since I'm working overhead, fast is good
emagsamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
journeyman carpenter

gun nail it. 4x faster than screws and cheaper
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote