Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #1

Share |

Nailing two 2" x 4" together ?

Hello,

I need to nail one 2" x 4" on top of another 2" x 4". I was thinking about using 5" spiral nails but not sure if it's enough ? I need to extend the height of a frame/soffit that was made to retain keep the batt insulation in place.

Should I use tie plates instead of simply nailing the 2" x 4" together ?
Attached Thumbnails
Nailing two 2" x 4" together ?-2x4.jpg  

westbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #2

Might bounce if you nail it?
Can you screw it using 4" screws (drill 1" dia holes 2" deep first as countersink).

tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:14 PM   #3

When framing an interior soffit/bulkhead, I like to use a combination of screws and common nails. The nails provide the shear strength (which the average screw has little of), and the screws provide the pull out strength (which nails have little of). The sheetrock exerts a downward load on the framing, and that puts the nails' pull-out strength to the test. Actually, it's not so much the drywall I worry about, but that someone might put a screw eye into that framing and try to hang something heavy. With a few screws, I breath easier.

In your case, I would do the same. Use both nails and screws. The screws don't have to be rated for structure (that would be overkill in this case, since they're basically just acting as a backup), but they should also not be drywall screws. I have a preference for SPAX screws.

Last edited by cortell; 10-09-2013 at 12:34 PM.
cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #4

Where on earth did you find lumber that flat?

If the next 2 pieces aren't that good there is an easy method of pulling them together.
Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:40 PM   #5

It's hard to find long wood screws but I was to find 5" deck screws. The shear strength seems to be close to regular wood screws.

Initially I was thinking of using only screws but a mix of both nails and screws could be even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortell View Post
When framing an interior soffit/bulkhead, I like to use a combination of screws and common nails. The nails provide the shear strength (which the average screw has little of), and the screws provide the pull out strength (which nails have little of). The sheetrock exerts a downward load on the framing, and that puts the nails' pull-out strength to the test. Actually, it's not so much the drywall I worry about, but that someone might put a screw eye into that framing and try to hang something heavy. With a few screws, I breath easier.

In your case, I would do the same. Use both nails and screws. The screws don't have to be rated for structure (that would be overkill in this case, since they're basically just acting as a backup), but they should also not be drywall screws. I have a preference for SPAX screws.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #6

Why not just use one 2 X 8 and skip all the work?
Old 10-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #7

Sorry. Why do you want 5" screws or nails? 3" is all you need. You just need to fasten one 2x4 to the other, right? I wouldn't try to sink the fasteners into the cripple stud ends that the first 2x4 is fastened to. That's just going to increase the chances of splitting those studs, which will weaken the connection.

Rule of thumb: a nail should be no closer than 1/2 its length to another nail and no closer than 1/4 its length to the edge of the wood.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #8

Wait a minute... which way are you attaching them. The picture is ambiguous as it doesn't show depth.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #9

you could use tie plates or a piece of plywood

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GBrackins For This Useful Post:
westbank (10-09-2013)
Old 10-09-2013, 01:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Why not just use one 2 X 8 and skip all the work?
I wish but the 2" x 4" framing is currently nailed and glued to concrete walls.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortell View Post
Sorry. Why do you want 5" screws or nails? 3" is all you need. You just need to fasten one 2x4 to the other, right? I wouldn't try to sink the fasteners into the cripple stud ends that the first 2x4 is fastened to. That's just going to increase the chances of splitting those studs, which will weaken the connection.

Rule of thumb: a nail should be no closer than 1/2 its length to another nail and no closer than 1/4 its length to the edge of the wood.
Sorry for the confusion. I need to nail/attach the 2" face with the other 2" face of the 2" x 4". So since a 2" x 4" is 1.5" x 3.5", it would be 7" high and would require screws of about 4.5" to 5".
Old 10-09-2013, 01:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
you could use tie plates or a piece of plywood
Didn't think about using plywood - that's good idea. I was thinking about the ties but they are not cheap.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by westbank View Post
Sorry for the confusion. I need to nail/attach the 2" face with the other 2" face of the 2" x 4". So since a 2" x 4" is 1.5" x 3.5", it would be 7" high and would require screws of about 4.5" to 5".
Sigh. This is what I think of when I hear "soffit", so extending the depth of that would mean *face-nailing* one 2x4 to another.

Disregard my off-point advice
Attached Thumbnails
Nailing two 2" x 4" together ?-soffit.jpg  
Old 10-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #14

Unpressure treated wood should not have been used in direct contact with the concrete.