DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Mystery pipe

4K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  Maintenance 6 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I have a mystery copper pipe coming up through the slab on the side of my house. I want to put storage sheds in this location but this pipe is in the way. I'd apprecate any input on wheter it is something obsolete (can I cut it off), should I plug it or do I consider rerouting it. It is appx 6-8 in above the concrete. It appears to be from the original construction of the house but the lab was poured around it later on (previous to me).

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
The pipe is coming up through a slab that has a slight slope to it. The photos are looking down. The house has a stucco exterior. In regards to the question of the hot water drain, this pipe is very distant from the hot water heater... I just checked, it is not the hot water drain.

the mystery continues...

#8 ·
Great suggestions! Unfortunately, we don't have an oil tank nor a basement and the AC condensation drain is on the otherside of the house... Also of note, there is nothing on the other side of the wall there that would contribute to the existence of the pipe... its the living room, no plumbing of any kind there. The kitchen (in aspect to the photos) is approximately 12 feet to the left, that is the only element in this area that has plumbing.

#9 ·
Wait, you don't don't have a tank "now" but might there have been one there in the past? Check with your neighbors to see what sort of heating they've got (or had in the past). See if any of the other houses built the same have a pipe like that in the same location.

Because if it was an oil tank that's no longer being used then you'd REALLY want to have it removed, or be SURE it's gone. Otherwise a leak (if it hasn't already) can get VERY expensive to clean up.

#10 ·
Is the pipe open?

Can you blow air into it?

It might be an air tube for a hidden compartment where the previous owner kept the kidnapped people.....if it smells....then maybe you have bodies underneath....

#19 ·
I got a LOL out of the post, ddawg16. I think I'm going to just go with hand drive's suggestion: cap and forget.

I wouldn't be surprised if some joker just stuck this piece of pipe in the ground chuckling to himself thinking some time in the future a bunch of knuckleheads would be scratching their knuckleheads (mine included) wondering what the heck it is...

#20 ·
I got a LOL out of the post, ddawg16. I think I'm going to just go with hand drive's suggestion: cap and forget.

I wouldn't be surprised if some joker just stuck this piece of pipe in the ground chuckling to himself thinking some time in the future a bunch of knuckleheads would be scratching their knuckleheads (mine included) wondering what the heck it is...
The reality is.....THAT^ is the most likely answer....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.