Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-09-2008, 10:07 AM   #1

Share |

My replacement windows

I just had new relpacement windows install in april and the installer told me that when they measured my windows, they measured with the window seals in, but when the windows were installed they were replaced without the seals so the window is too short. He had to put a 2 x 4 under the window and then shim the window on top of the 2x 4 to get the window to fit. Will this affect my energy efficency? ( see attached pic)Thank you very much
Attached Thumbnails
My replacement windows-window1.jpg  

markhardy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:28 AM   #2

My replacement windows

I don't think that it will have a big impact on energy efficiency. However, that looks like a very poor job. If the contractor couldn't measure the windows correctly, what else did he do wrong?

By the way did you mean window "sills" vice "seals"? Perhaps a little southern accent?

Old 10-10-2008, 05:36 AM   #3

My replacement windows

Thank you for your reply. I was really concerned because those windows are 9 feet long and I didnt want to have any problems with them leaking, etc. anytime in the near future. I said "seals" instead of "sills" because I dont know anything about windows ( as you can see LOL!) so I just spelled it like it sounded. LOL! Thanks again
Attached Thumbnails
My replacement windows-window2.jpg  
Old 10-10-2008, 08:46 AM   #4

My replacement windows

A competent carpenter could simply build a sill and install it in the space left by the window installer.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:38 AM   #5

My replacement windows

Your right a competent carpenter did hide it with sills that he had to shimm up and then had to put in some quarter round to cover the rest of the gap left. I was just wondering how many leaks this may cause down the road. Several inspectors told me that when they realized the window was too short they should have just order new windows. Also, I guess I feel like a competent installer would have measured them right in the first place. Thanks again!
Old 10-10-2008, 09:41 AM   #6

My replacement windows

Nice window. I love big windows with lots of light.

Won't affect your insulation. Heat transfer through wood takes a long time.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:54 AM   #7

My replacement windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhardy321 View Post
Your right a competent carpenter did hide it with sills that he had to shimm up and then had to put in some quarter round to cover the rest of the gap left. I was just wondering how many leaks this may cause down the road. Several inspectors told me that when they realized the window was too short they should have just order new windows. Also, I guess I feel like a competent installer would have measured them right in the first place. Thanks again!
Well you can always tell him to redo it.

I see lots of windows that have been miss sized and had to be replaced. I live for those situations as I buy them real cheap for my house.

I have 3 windows in one of my rooms. They are a 4060 picture window and 2 2060 casement windows. Got them all for $100 brand new. Then I applied for the tax credit and rebate from the utilities. Total cost to me. I made $40.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:08 AM   #8

My replacement windows

Wow! I should have had you do my windows! LOL! Thanks for the information
Old 10-10-2008, 05:51 PM   #9
Man of many hats

My replacement windows

Also, that type of vinyl window is manufactured to accept snap-on expansion trim(it snaps into that small groove around the window frame). It is often supplied with the window, but your installer may have had to use the supplied piece on the outside of the window. Without pics of the outside, it is hard to say if the windows were infact mismeasured (i.e. if the outside were brick and shorter than the inside dimensions, then the crankout/casement windows would not be able to open if measured to the larger inside dimension) Even if they are measured properly, as stated before, it is a poor install, and if it is a reputable company, I would call them and ask them to finish the inside trim. RWD makes a vinyl product that is 2" wide, comes in a 200' roll with adhesive backing specifically for this purpose. It looks as if this or the snap-on trim would have trimmed your windows out much nicer than just leaving a bare 2x4 visible. I could not tell from the pic, but I would make sure that they used ample silicone sealant/caulking under the window to prevent moisture or air intrusion. Even if you trim out the window with vinyl, it looks as though a sill still needs to be installed, if for no other reason than asthetics.
HTH,
Brett

Last edited by wrangler; 10-10-2008 at 05:54 PM.
wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:20 PM   #10

My replacement windows

Thanks again for your advice. The reason I know the window is too short is because the installer told me so himself. Once I brought the issue up with the company they told me there installer was wrong and that they were the right size. I've had a few inspectors and friends tell me that they were mismeasured. They cut a lot of corners when they did this job so my main concern is wether or not I will have problems with my windows leaking down the road. There were even areas where he forgot to caulk. Since I dont know that much about windows, I just wanted to get an opinion from someone who does. thank you for your help