So now we come to the entrance door! Man, what a sorry sack of garbage that door and display windows are, the door looks like one you'd have on a drug store or licquor store, I hate it I hate it I hate it, did I mention how much I hate that door?
I thought about this a lot, and this is somewhat close to what I have planned, but not as ornate/Victorian:
Towards that end, I decided I wanted to have two doors and to straighten out the 2 angled windows, I built the 2 doors, here's the frame of one of them to start with. It is laminated poplar about 1-5/8" thick, mortice and tenon joints.The top will have bevelled glass, the bottom openings were going to be panels but now I'm thinking glass there would better match the facade style due to the 6 small square windows over the display windows.
Going back inside, this is the rear area "before", dark GREEN paint on the walls! There was a partition wall I removed where I was standing with the camera, so it was a dark hovel before I did that! I also discovered the boarded up window in the back upstairs was not facing a brick wall as I thought, but could be uncovered, they had instaleld the same redwood garbage on the rear as the facade had and covered the window over!
A new double hung vinyle window, argon etc replaced the old one and it lets a lot of light in from the West now.
This area will be a work and class area, the front half is for the gallery space.
Another view after the window was installed and painting the walls. I built a pair of oak railings with newel posts (posts not shown) where the partition wall was,it was the perfect diving location as the rear area has new linoleum flooring and I decided to keep that. The divider is just perfect for the purpose of visually separating the two areas but keeping maximum sunlight going to the rear from the front windows.
In the foreground is plywood, the original wood floor has 2 layers of linoleum, likely asbestos tile, lots of holes for outlets, and I felt it was just beyond dealing with trying to restore it.
So 5/8" CDX screwed down for a subfloor for planned oak parque covers 20x42 feet.
The 2 posts installed
Some views looking to the front "before"
And towards the rear when the partition was still there, real raw space!
Part of the upstairs mezzanine with the original window uncovered, letting light in there for the first time in 4o years.
After painting the entire ceiling with oil paint, and the walls with 2 coats of latex paint, I was able to start mounting some of my work on the walls.
I found a couple of 1910 period looking hanging lamps for the front area to start with, one can be seen, it fits well!
I gave the cornice a contrasting color, the wall is not quite as yellow as the photo implies, the color is a bit off.
I think that's it for now, I had hoped to get the oak prefinished parquet tiles at Menards but I learned they no longer carry it! WHat a headache because I was counting on getting that material as it's always been around $1 a sq ft or so and it's perfect for this space, now I'm finding parque sold elsewhere is either expensive cherry, mahogany, or it's around $3.99 or $4.99 a sq ft.
I hate carpeting but I looked at some for temporary for 20x25 of this area to start with, and I found some for under $1 a sq ft, but they wanted $3.79 a sq ft to install it!!!
I need about 900 sq ft, so finding a close-out of 900 sq ft or 900 left over tiles on Ebay cheap is not likely!
I guess the flooring is going to be last on the to do list for now.