My Plan For A Small Wall - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2013, 10:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

My plan for a small wall

I'm extending a wall 8" so I'll have a hollow wall for jacks and so I could make my closet deeper. I don't want to drill into the asbestos floor tile so I plan to fasten a new base to the wall for the tracks for steel studs. I put 2x3s on the bottom for nailing baseboard. They're about the same height as the wooden baseboard backer that's build into all of the plaster and steel lath walls. Drywall will sit 1/8" above the concrete brick and I'll tape the brick/drywall joint. It'll expand and crack, won't it? Well, I'll think about that some more.

Another issue that I'll give more thought to is that baseboard for this new section would sit on tile while the original baseboard is below the tile. I could trim the asbestos tile around the new wall or I could install new baseboard everywhere that's higer, or I could trim the baseboard in the area of the new wall which is what I'm leaning towards.

Just thought I'd show my invention to the world before I actually fasten anything together. I'll never again buy a house or apartment that was built when asbestos was being used.
Attached Thumbnails
My plan for a small wall-corner-base.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by Dorado; 04-02-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Dorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 534

My plan for a small wall

You lost me, why are the concrete blocks being used?
Why would you use steel studs instead of wood?
Sound like your making this far harder then it needs to be.
Just wear a dust mask and drill the holes, wet it down and wipe or suck it up with a shop vac and be done with it.

Advertisement

Old 04-02-2013, 11:34 PM   #3

My plan for a small wall

One benefit of the steel studs was that I was able to carry 6 studs and a track about 6 blocks home from Home Depot. Originally I was going to use the brick without wood because it's shaped about right and it won't warp and it's fireproof, but then I saw the wood behind my baseboard and decided to add wood.

I have to scan my lease into my computer so I can search for the word subfloor. I thought I read that I can't drill through it but I can't find it now.

Anyway, I like the steel studs because the wall will be more fire proof. The base is weird though and I still may attach the tracks to the floor.

Last edited by Dorado; 04-02-2013 at 11:39 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #4
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

My plan for a small wall

screw the plate to the floor over top whats there with pan head screws, no need for concrete sitting on the subfloor- subfloors are made to have walls sitting on them so a few screws will not matter. where the base steps up just 45 degree back on the lower base where it meets the top corner of the step up and make the new base line up with another 45 degree and notch the bottom so as to get the base up to the higher floor height.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

My plan for a small wall

You did say lease right? And you are modifying the interior? Did you get written permission to do so? As far as the AB goes you are over reacting. As far as what you are trying to do, it does not appear that you are gaining much, unless I do not understand, which is entirely possible, since Im on my first cup.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:16 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

My plan for a small wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post

Anyway, I like the steel studs because the wall will be more fire proof. .
Nothing is 'fire-proof' - just fire-resistant for a defined period.
To be frank, the steel studs will add nothing to the fire protection of whatever it is you're concerned about; it's the drywall which does that. Steel studs just make the wall lighter.
tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:26 PM   #7

My plan for a small wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
You did say lease right? And you are modifying the interior? Did you get written permission to do so?
I own the apartment and read the lease (it's a co-op). For certain things you need written permission, but not for this. I also heard from the super that "everyone" is extending their bedroom closet. I don't know how they're doing it but it probably wouldn't affect how I do it. I've seen some bad and unsafe stuff being done in this building.

I already have the steel studs so I'll use them, and the base will be wood for the baseboard. The only question is whether to use the bracket and brick. I think I will. If someone wants to extend the closet another three inches beyond where I'm extending it, which is what the super tells me people are doing (I don't think it's a good idea for various reasons) and they drill more holes in the tile, the tile will probably end up being cracked in 20 pieces. I think there's a good chance they wouldn't use all the recommended safety precautions in removing and disposing of the tile. I'd like to keep it as intact as I could. And if someone wants to restore the closet to its original dimentions, they won't have to worry about a missing or badly cracked tile under the carpet. I think it was less than $10 for two brackets and two bricks, and I already spent it. And it was fun chiseling my first brick.

Advertisement

Last edited by Dorado; 04-03-2013 at 01:36 PM.