DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

My Nailer, its trying to KILL ME!

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Taipans 
#1 · (Edited)
My nailer is trying to kill me! :mad:

I got nails for my Porter-Cable framer today and happily was ready to put my first stud in. I bought this porter cable used off ebay, got it for 60 bucks. When it came in I hooked it up at work and fired a dozen nails or so. Everything worked great and I was happy to of saved some money. Today I hooked it up, placed it on a test 2x4 and fired. It jerked up and I notice I had sunk 2 nails into the wood. One actually on top of the other. I figured I wasnt holding it tight enough and it bucked or something. So I tried again. Same deal only 2 nails side by side this time.

Whats the deal with this thing? What causes that to happen, and what can I do to fix it! :(

Obviously I am going to be forced into breaking out a hammer tomorrow. :furious:

Thanks!

EDIT:: Ok so I just went out and looked around I found one user reporting that if its in rapid fire mode it can cause novices to double fire. I didn't even know this had 2 modes of fire, so if its a switch it must of got hit when bringing it home. Going to go down and look at it, I didn't see anything to switch onit. Infact all the air adjustments even must be done with a wrench. *shrug*

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
I don't know about PC units, but Bosch color codes the triggers. A black trigger means it is a contact trip set-up ( which i am guessing you have) This means if the trigger is depressed and you bump the nose it will shoot. i have seen three nails at a time

a gray trigger is a sequential trip trigger ( which is safer for low volume DIY use) this requires the trigger to be pulled once for each nail

think of a machine gun, you have an automatic instead of a semi-auto

#6 · (Edited)
The nails are exactly the same so you picked out the right ones for me AtlanticWB. I wrote down the model off your previous link and got a box of those. :thumbsup:

I have a black trigger, so thats how its changed! So I pull the trigger and can slap the nose around and keep firing non-stop? Crap, I would infact rather have it the other way! Can I change the trigger or was that model specific?

#9 ·
my 350 will do that also. most often it is caused by the recoil. Nose lifts just enuf to reset the safety and double fires. Hard wood will cause it also, same reason. lower ur air pressure to 80 ish,
Yeah cabinetmaker and a framing gun LOL
Thanks for the tip, I will try a lower PSI setting. So in all reality the tip should not trigger it twice, it being caused by the "bounce" from recoil. I will contact Portal Cables customer service about the trigger also. I will have to get use to it for now though since tomorrow will be a dedicated day to work on this.

Thanks for all the help

#10 ·
Try just using the very tip of your finger on the trigger till you get use to the gun, I have had luck teaching people this way on my guns with that type of trigger. Most will companys send you the other type of trigger for free, other wise they could get sued if you shot yourself

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.