Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-27-2008, 09:15 PM   #1

Share |

Was my local lumber yard being straight with me?

I'm renovating my existing garage into living space and to do this I'm framing a floor which will bear on the existing foundation walls. To match the existing framing the new joists must be 2x8 and span 13'. I had planned on doing this with #1 grade lumber 12" O.C. but when I went to the yard to get an estimate done I was told they couldn't get #1 in anything less than 28' lengths and 180 piece lots. After I left I called another local yard and they said more or less the same thing.

So, is this really true? I have no reason to not believe them but I'm just finding it hard to believe you can't get #1 grade in 14'-16' lengths. I'm in MA, btw.

I'm currently planning to go with a beam down the center to split the span and use #2 but it sure would be easier to just do it with a single clear span.
RolandOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:40 PM   #2
remodeling pro

Evidently that is what is available from their supplier. I have never heard of only being able to get 28' lengths, but it is common for them to have to order quantities in what ever is the standard bundling units for an item. Have you considered using manufactured I beams, They are cut to specified lengths when ordered, and available in depths to match most dimension lumber.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleseeker View Post
Evidently that is what is available from their supplier. I have never heard of only being able to get 28' lengths, but it is common for them to have to order quantities in what ever is the standard bundling units for an item. Have you considered using manufactured I beams, They are cut to specified lengths when ordered, and available in depths to match most dimension lumber.
I was under the impression that you can't get I-beams in 7 1/4 depths. I didn't see anything on either the GP or Boise site. Maybe I missed it?

It being their supplier makes sense. Maybe I'll call a few more yards. I had hoped to use these guys because I heard good things about them.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:46 PM   #4

Most yards won't stock #1 material. When you buy it, you're buying the quantity that they bring in, which is full units.

As for the 28' length, that is strange.

I doubt you'll find anyone that stocks #1.

In the long run, I think it is going to be a lot cheaper to spend the extra money on a beam and use #2 material.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:13 AM   #5
gravity always wins

I can't imagine what #1 2x8s must cost. Louisiana-Pacific makes LVLs to match 2x8. Probably cheaper than #1 softwood. Likely to be stronger too. If I could get away from the beam, I would. It's not just the beam, it's the posts, pads to rest the posts on, labor to assemble all of the above, etc. Especially since you're not very far off of the span table for # 2.

http://www.lpcorp.com/lvl/products/p...formation.aspx

Maybe Termite can check the official span tables. It seems like 2x8 northern fir on 12" centers should span the 13 feet you need. What does the book say?

Last edited by Maintenance 6; 05-28-2008 at 08:22 AM.
Maintenance 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
Maybe Termite can check the official span tables. It seems like 2x8 northern fir on 12" centers should span the 13 feet you need. What does the book say?
Certainly! (now that I have my book with me)

#2 Douglas Fir 2x8's will go 14'-2" @ 12"oc @ 40psf live/10psf dead L/360.
#2 Hem-Fir will go 13'-2"

Those are maximum spans of course, from the 2003 IRC.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 01:00 PM   #7

I have my structural engineer looking at the drawings now and he said he had some ideas for simplifying the layout. I'll wait to hear his ideas before making a final decision on beam vs. LVL's or #2 DF.

Thanks for the replies.