Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-15-2011, 08:15 PM   #1
Roofer Man

Share |

My house just burnt down. Need some help!

I'm a roofing supervisor and my house just burned down. The contractor I work for wants to build my house to help save me some money so I dont have to hire someone thats gonna sub-contract all the work out. Now mind u, my boss is also a friend of 18 years and will look out for my best interest. I owned the house and have allstate for my insurance company that is working with me but I know how they work and try to give u the least amount possible. I'm thinking of hiring an outside adjuster to work for me to get me more money from my insurance company to build my new home on the existing property, we just have to empty and knock down the old place.
Any suggestions or ideas on ways to save money or how to go about doing this? My boss is a GC and built houses for M/I, Dominion, and Rockford Homes so he knows what hes doing and has contacts. All we'll be subbing out is our electric and maybe excavation if we decide on a basement. The elec. guy is also a good friend I've known for over 12 years that is licensed in running residential elec.
Any comments will help, thank you very much.

Jayuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:58 PM   #2

Sorry to hear about your house. I know fires are just devastating.

Now here is my advice. Never do business with family or friends.
Too many problems will show up and cause hard feelings.

logluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:38 PM   #3

I'm kind of in the same boat as logluvr with using friends. I used a GC to do quite a bit of work on my home that was required by FHA and picked him because I felt he wasn't loballing me and would do things to a high standard, unfortunatly even though he seemed on the level, not everyone that worked for him seemed to have the same standards and I really don't want anything to do with him... he wasn't a friend to start with though but I think it would have caused some bad blood.
As far as hiring a public adjuster(PA), personally I would try to work with the insurance co first as you'll be giving ~10% to the PA.
banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:00 PM   #4
Roofer Man

The friend I work for has done some work for me before and everything went good. As far as thee PA theyre only asking 3% of total. Thanks for all advice and I'll take more. It's a lot to figure in when starting from scratch.
Jayuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:49 AM   #5

Seriously consider moving somewhere else (perhaps renting) and selling the property. The big time consuming thing many distressed homeowners run into that they didn't expect to is being a general contractor to the general contractor, namely a watchdog.

If you do decide to rebuild, you and not the contractor should do all the check writing out of the bank account where the insurance proceeds went. In addition a good contractor does not mind doing sections of work first and then being paid for them, and not getting advance deposits.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:45 AM   #6

Adjusters are the best call one ASAP. Listen to them and do everything they say. Do not let friends help with the rebuild you will get plenty of $$$ if you call an adjuster. The insurance company don't give a rats ass about you and they will low ball you every time.
My insurance company were the worst they wanted to hand me a small check to release them for about 5K by the time the adjuster was done they were writing for 45K and I still had to take them to court, and won.
The percentage the adjuster gets is well worth it if you get the right one.
I didn't realize the cost of every little thing until the adjuster enlightened me.

COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote