Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2011, 11:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

my concrete retaining wall has a major crack where the wall has now shifted

Bought a lakefront house last year. At the yard edge is a concrete retaining wall (about 4.5' high and 6" thick) that separates it from the water. The water is about 3' high where it meets the wall. The wall is not structural, other than to support the weight of the yard against the water. Other houses on the lake either rocks, wooden garden ties, or some have nothing and have sloped their yard to the water.

When we bought the house, the wall had major damage in the middle, where a large crack has caused the wall to shift/separate about 6" out. Seems like the only thing holding it is rebar and the fact that someone dug out about 1' of dirt on the yard side to reduce the pressure.

What options do I have to fix it. Note that the lake is controlled by the city via a irrigation valve, so in the winter they drain it about 50%, causing my docks and water edge to be exposed down to the dirt/ground (in spring they fill it up again). I was thinking of digging down deeper on the yard side (to reduce more pressure) and then renting a hoe to push the wall back and then adding vertical metal posts on the lake side. Or perhaps building a 2nd wall with concrete blocks? What are your opinions? Will I break the wall if I try to push it back? What other options do I have? Not that the repair does not need to be cosmetic as I eventually plan to build another dock running horizontally across the yard to cover the wall.

Thanks

DanDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 156

my concrete retaining wall has a major crack where the wall has now shifted

I watched them repair a seawall at our boat club. They drilled holes in the wall and bolted an I beam horizontally on the outside(lakeside) of the wall. The bolts were about 20' long and went up the lawn to a deadman which is poured concrete mass buried in the lawn. With a backhoe you should be able to handle the I beam and if you are planning to build a dock in front, you want a good repair.

zircon is offline   Reply With Quote