Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2010, 02:00 PM   #1

Share |
Question

My basement support beam

I removed a support wall (that was 20ft long) in my basement. The wall rested on a footer that came out of the concrete floor. The wall I removed was in the 4th level (of my 4 level split home). It supported the kitchen and living room above.

I wanted to open the room up and have it as one big room that will be a storage area for tools, deepfreeze etc and a space for the kids to have a TV, games pool table etc.

So far I have consulted with many contacts from friends to experienced contractors. I decided to save $ and build my own beam rather than go enginered (the engineered beem was $800). The space I needed to support was 19.5 feet. I put up my temp wall and decided to build the beam myself and support it with jackposts.

I built the beam out of 3 2x10's. I screwed them together 1 at a time and then the whole thing on both sides with 4" screws. I used 3 jackposts. 1 on each end and 1 in the middle. Once I got my jack post is place and level we set the beam in place. I then removed the temp wall and all is well.

THe jackposts rest on the concrete floor. I plan to anchor them with concrete screws. I then had the problem of the footer that rose out of the floor. I solved that by jackhammering it out and went about a 1" and a 1/2 below the existing floor and am going to fill and level that with new cement.

The new beem has been in place for 5 days and I feel really good about my first time doing this type of project.

Any thoughts on if anyone has done a similar job and what they think of what I did.

????

Thanks

rmugford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:06 PM   #2

My basement support beam

Did you size a beam for the load & did they say (3) 2x10's would carry the load ?
Did someone spec out the attachment method & how to screw the beams together ?

My beam in my garage was sized at (3) 14" LVLs for ~22'
--carries floor above & then 1/2 floor of attic + roof load
How far apart my trusslocks needed to be was indicated on the engineer spec

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:28 PM   #3

My basement support beam

Aside from the questionable beam, you need to pour footings under the posts. You can't just pop a post down on a slab and call it a day.
Didn't any of these, "experienced contractors" bring up this point? If not, the other information they gave you was questionable.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:48 PM   #4

My basement support beam

The guy that looked at it for me told me that the 3 2*10's would hold the load with the 3 jackposts. I forgot to mention that 2 of the jackposts sit on the footer that was there. One sits on the floor and it will be anchored down. I hope he knew what he was taking about, b/c he owns his own construction company that builds new homes.
rmugford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:09 PM   #5

My basement support beam

The beam should have been sized
That's a long distance to span with 2x10's
I had mine sized at a local lumber yard - free
Might be worth the peace of mind to run this by someone
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:47 PM   #6

My basement support beam

3- 2x10's, ganged together, spanning 10' will carry 3447# total load. If they are #2 Doug/fir, properly bolted per engineering, with only a liv. room and kitchen above rated to carry 50# per lin. ft. That is with no other rooms or roof load above these rooms..... http://ftp.resource.org/bsc.ca.gov/t...2_page0376.pdf

They would carry almost 7' of floor joist perpendicular to the built-up beam. That is only 3-1/2 feet of floor each side of the beam. If your liv. room span is only 7' wide and kitchen- 7' wide, it could work. The outside walls would carry the other 3-1/2'. HOW LONG are the joists spanning?

Be safe, Gary

Last edited by Gary in WA; 03-11-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:24 PM   #7
Civil Engineer

My basement support beam

I found your post rather confusing. You indicate that you removed a basement load bearing wall and replaced it with a 19.5 foot long beam, supported at either end and in the middle by jack posts. You also say that the wall you removed was in the fourth level of your 4 level split style house. I do not understand what you mean by this. Is the beam in the basement, supporting three levels of house above it?

You indicate that everything is fine with the construction, and you consulted an experienced contractor. So why are you asking for validation on this forum? The time to seek advice long since passed, unless you are considering removing the beam if you became convinced that it was improperly sized, improperly constructed, or improperly attached to the jackposts.

Standard practice is to discuss a major structural modification such as you performed with the local code enforcement official. I assumed you did not do so. It is also common practice to retain a professional structural engineer to size the beam, provide connection details, design the footing for the jack posts, and design the jack posts themselves. Clearly you did not do this either. This is your privilege, you obviously think you know what you are doing, but I repeat, since you clearly think you know what you are doing, and you already did it, what are you doing on this forum?

Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote