Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-09-2011, 12:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

My add-on room in the back has 2x4 ceiling rafters!

I have ripped all the paneling out of a room that was apparently added on by the original owners in the '50s because I wanted to re-drywall and replace some windows. However, when I got the ceiling down I discovered, to my horror, that in this 12'x15' room with a very shallow sloped roof (maybe a 6" in rise over 12'), that both the ceiling joists, and the roof rafters are 2x4s spaced about 16" apart. I am horrified and not sure what to do at this point. The rafters have a noticeable bow in them.

I think the room dates back from the 50's is my understanding. I don't want to have the room collapse under the weight of snow. I am a bit panicked right now.

***I put this in the building and the roofing section because I wasn't sure which the appropriate forum is. Mods, please feel free to delete the one in the wrong section. ***

OffToAShakyStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:27 PM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 44

The only thing you can do is rebuild it.

Have a draftsman draw you a plan, submit that plan for approval get the permit and build a new roof.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post

Have a draftsman draw you a plan, submit that plan for approval get the permit and build a new roof.

Ugh. Any idea what that would cost?
Old 10-09-2011, 12:36 PM   #4
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffToAShakyStar View Post
I have no idea but it should be a pretty simple plan so the drawings shouldn’t cost too much.

Once you have drawings you can price out the materials if you’re going to DIY or get bids from local contractors.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:37 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 72

Quote:
Depends on what the permit cost is for demo and rebuild, along with electrical & plumbing. If the city finds out that it was un-permitted work to begin with, they could charge you for that. Then add in materials & labor. Rough estimate for just the shell, around $10,000 to $15,000, not including electric, plumbing, finish work. Better get working.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Depends on what the permit cost is for demo and rebuild, along with electrical & plumbing. If the city finds out that it was un-permitted work to begin with, they could charge you for that. Then add in materials & labor. Rough estimate for just the shell, around $10,000 to $15,000, not including electric, plumbing, finish work. Better get working.

Ugh. I may have to live with it for a while if it's going to be that much. It's been there since the '50s so I suppose it will last a couple more years. This is my first house and I don't have near that much cash around. How would I be charged for work that was done in the '50s? (decades before I was born)? Also, what would I need plumbing and electrical for if I am just rebuilding the roof?

I can do the labor myself with some friends who are roofers, it's just the permit and materials I would need to pay for.

Last edited by OffToAShakyStar; 10-09-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:58 PM   #7

Also, could I sister in 2x4s or even 2x6s next to the 2x4s? Would that be sufficient to strengthen the roof?
Old 10-09-2011, 01:04 PM   #8
Mod

Quote:
Also, could I sister in 2x4s or even 2x6s next to the 2x4s? Would that be sufficient to strengthen the roof?
Well I tried to get you to do it right.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Well I tried to get you to do it right.

So sistering wouldn't be acceptable?

I want to do it right. But I can't afford the 10-15K that was estimated currently. Would sistering it be an acceptable "patch" until I can afford to rebuild the roof?

I'm also confused on why I would need plumbing and electrical permits. And why I would be fined if the original owner didn't take a permit 50 years ago?
Old 10-09-2011, 01:35 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
For that much span with such a minimal slope you will need something even bigger than 2x6's. 2x4's would be basically useless. Assuming you don't have a major bow in the existing roof (or you can jack it up to remove the bow) sister who would certainly provide some benefit for a minimal cost. It's certainly not the ideal solution but much better than doing nothing especially since you already have the area opened up!

Pictures and knowing where you are located would certainly be beneficial.

Last edited by Msradell; 10-09-2011 at 01:39 PM.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Msradell For This Useful Post:
OffToAShakyStar (10-09-2011)
Old 10-09-2011, 01:37 PM   #11
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 4
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

A lot depends on your location, where are you?

You will not be fined for work done fifty years ago, the most that they could ask for is to have you bring things up to code if you are going to work on them.

Andy.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyGump For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2011, 01:40 PM   #12
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 14

Are the walls built correctly and in good shape? I think I would just rip the roof off and rebuild. Why are we talking about plumbing?... maybe some electrical if there are lights in the ceiling.
Are you planning on doing this yourself?
Old 10-09-2011, 01:44 PM   #13
Mod

Quote:
So sistering wouldn't be acceptable?

I want to do it right. But I can't afford the 10-15K that was estimated currently. Would sistering it be an acceptable "patch" until I can afford to rebuild the roof?

I'm also confused on why I would need plumbing and electrical permits. And why I would be fined if the original owner didn't take a permit 50 years ago?
That 10-15 grand means nothing, especially if you DIY. No one can price your project based on reading a couple of post. How about posting a picture or two so we can see what you’re looking at. How to attach a photo to a post
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2011, 05:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchcargo View Post
Are the walls built correctly and in good shape? I think I would just rip the roof off and rebuild. Why are we talking about plumbing?... maybe some electrical if there are lights in the ceiling.
Are you planning on doing this yourself?

The walls are built fairly well and are in good shape. They are 2x4 construction with 4x4 corner posts. I just looked on the top of the roof, it's got a slight concave shape but looks to be in otherwise good shape.

I'm in Oklahoma. Last 3 years we have had massive snow/ice storms with 2-3 inches of ice and/or up the 3 feet of snow. I'm not sure how this roof survived 3' of snow.

Here are some pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
My add-on room in the back has 2x4 ceiling rafters!-ceiling-against-house.jpg   My add-on room in the back has 2x4 ceiling rafters!-ceiling-away-house..jpg   My add-on room in the back has 2x4 ceiling rafters!-ceiling-away-house-again..jpg   My add-on room in the back has 2x4 ceiling rafters!-roof-resized.jpg  
Old 10-09-2011, 05:50 PM   #15
Too Old

Quote:

I agree.
You don't have to pay for everything up front start with finding a professional, that will cost you nothing, then when you find the one you want to use you will have a price for his work. The permit will have a fee that you can get from the city or county office before you even start with the drawings.