Musty Window Well - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2007, 04:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

musty window well

Can I put anything in my window well to mask that musty smell? It doesn't permeate the entire basement, only right by the window.

Advertisement

coeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 12:24 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

musty window well

Take out any organic matter and put down a layer of pebbles. Maybe an air freshener.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:28 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

musty window well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Take out any organic matter and put down a layer of pebbles. Maybe an air freshener.
Ron
I was thinking that too. I don't have any organic matter there, only dirt (and some moss). Should I remove some of the dirt? What would be a good air freshener that would last a long time? I assume it should be made of plastic and contain no paper labels. I'll take some pics of it today hopefully and post them.

By the way, what type of contractor would be able to replace my window well with a new one? Mine is the old metal type and looks rusty in places.

Last edited by coeng; 06-11-2007 at 08:30 AM.
coeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:51 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

musty window well

Your landscaper could do it. It's just a hole in the ground, nothing that requires any skill.
Do you have a sprinkler system that might be contributing water in the immediate area? Might want to readjust heads or reduce water frequecy to see if that reduces the problem. Maybe prune back some vegetation and get some air circulation and light in the area.
I have no idea about the air freshener. I was thinking about something more natural. Maybe your garden center might have an idea.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote