Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-21-2005, 03:48 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Mummys kitchen wall

Hey Hey!

I need your help, I don’t know what to do with my mummys kitchen wall, Mummy cooks allot (frying, boiling, baking ~ list goes on!) the walls get covered in oil splashback and stuff my problem is it is impossible to wipe off as it is a painted surface (I even purchased the special kitchen paint - "Easy Wipe Paint!" That was a lie, it just rubs off)

Tiling is out of the question, she has a cooker that can almost fit 2 humans in so you can imagine how large the wall is. Can anybody give me an idea on a material or covering I can use to cover the walls that can be wiped clean, any links to products will be cool & a great help.

Thanks very much

Laura xx

djboper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 12:37 PM   #2

Mummys kitchen wall

Lara

Just because a wall or are is large shouldn't mean tile would be out of the question. A lot of commercial kitchens use Stainless steel in such situations. VERY expensive. Tile is cheaper and can be a better DIY. How hot does it get on this area? Hot to the touch would leave most plastic products out. Most cookers/Ovens and Appliances state how far they must be from combustibles in the owners manual or from their customer service dept. If the area is far enough from the heat you could just clean the walls well and have clear Plexiglas cut to fit over it and put it up using small screws or trim. Many times exhaust hoods and/or ventilation is not adequate in a kitchen this can make the conditions much worst, the oils and fats settle on all surfaces if not ventilated out while still airborne. I hope I helped with some ideas. Hopefully another members will write in with more ideas and direction for you. Let us know what you end up doing and how it works out for you