Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2008, 09:57 AM   #1
They're all fixer-uppers

Rewards Points: 500

Moving washer and dryer into Garage, perhaps some constucion needed?

Hi everyone, its been a while. I am thinking about moving my washer and dryer from the utility room to the garage. It will literally just mean, rotating them around a wall. THe wall they are against now, seperates the garage from the utility room, they will be just be "flipped" to the other side of the wall. The garage is not heated and has a concrete floor. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me. I was thinking maybe I should put some sort of platform or flooring to mark off the area and maybe some cabinets above. I definitely don't have a big budget here at all.

J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:32 AM   #2
Crabby Bastard

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by J187 View Post
Hi everyone, its been a while. I am thinking about moving my washer and dryer from the utility room to the garage. It will literally just mean, rotating them around a wall. THe wall they are against now, seperates the garage from the utility room, they will be just be "flipped" to the other side of the wall. The garage is not heated and has a concrete floor. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me. I was thinking maybe I should put some sort of platform or flooring to mark off the area and maybe some cabinets above. I definitely don't have a big budget here at all.

i'd skip the platform, especially if your washer is a front loader as all it will do is come out of balance if your platform is anything less than rock solid.

terri_and_jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:25 PM   #3
They're all fixer-uppers

Rewards Points: 500

Maybe some nice cheap vinyl tiles or something>?
J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:53 PM   #4
Crabby Bastard

Rewards Points: 75

if it were me and i didn't want to spend any money i wouldn't worry about the floor at all, except to maybe put a throw rug in front of the dryer in case i dropped clean clothes when unloading.

skip the flooring, put your limited funds into shelving or cabinet
terri_and_jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 11:53 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Helo J187,
The first thing you should consider here is fire codes..i am guessing your water connections to your dryer are now towards the utility room, when you move the washer to the garage, you have to cut a small opening in the wall to let your water valves to be accessible from the garage side. How about your Dryer, does t use Gas or elctricity to run.? If you use gas, you mght have to do the same thing for the Gas outlet too, ie mve it towards the garage side by cutting a opening in the wall....to access your gas shutoff valve
This method violates most state /national firecodes that require that part of garage adjacent to the living spaces to be lined with 5/8 inch Gypsum fireproof panels....please check with a building inspector before you proceed....
jerryluiz is offline   Reply With Quote