Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-19-2010, 11:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

moving a support wall 6 ft over.? help

Typical ranch style home.( one roof line from end to end of home) I want to combine the two back rooms and there is what I think to be a support wall connecting the two. But nothing seems to be resting on the support wall, but assuming since such a length is involved, it is supporting the span. The total span is 24 ft. 12 on both sides. This is one support from one side of house to other. I want to move the wall over about 5 ft. Leaving the longer side about 18 ft. How can I , or what should I do to add support to the 18 ft section. This is a typical prefab trust system. Can I simply sister the 18 ft length and use ties to support that 18 ft length. Can I "V" support the new support wall to the rafters and use hangers on the 18 ft section. Please give me any suggestions.

jstamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:48 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,930

moving a support wall 6 ft over.? help

Most trusses used in a ranch house are designed the span the width of the house without a 'supporting'
wall.

You need to get someone in there to check the truss design. Post a few pictures here ---Mike---

oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote