Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2012, 11:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

moving a load bearing wall

We are remodeling and want to extend our kitchen. We want to remove one wall which is the load bearing wall and extend out 4ft. onto our hallway wall. How do I properly extend the load bearing wall another 4 ft onto that exesting wall for support?
We have a 30 yr old ranch.

hornet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,082

Every project involving removal or relocation of load bearing elements like a wall requires preparation of a dimensionally accurate diagram showing the location of the existing wall, supported elements such as joists or beams, and the proposed location of the new framing, whether the new framing is a header or a new wall. I usually do the diagrams by accurately measuring location using a tape measure, but you can also use sonic locators or laser locators, as long as the measurements are accurate. Once you have prepared the drawing, post it up on the forum, and your plan will make more sense. Right now, I cannot understand what your current framing is, and I don't understand exactly what you want to accomplish, but it will all make sense with a drawing and a few photos.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
user1007 (09-29-2012)
Old 09-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Most places you are going to need drawings stamped, a permit and an inspection to change structure. We can help give you an idea of how to proceed and what it involved once we see a sketch and photos but you should ask around for the name of a building designer, architect, or structural engineer that can do the design and drawings for you.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
I usually do the diagrams by accurately measuring location using a tape measure
(As a matter of interest; in your job, wouldn't a laser (or even a 6ft folding rule) be quicker and more accurate than using a tape? Just curious).

Sorry, OP, didn't mean to butt in; will follow your thread with interest and,
as the others have said, photos and/or a quick sketch are a great help.
tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote