Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-07-2010, 10:46 AM   #1

Share |

Moving a jackpost in a basement

Hi All,

We have a 30 year old split level house with a finished basement. The original owners finished the rec room with panelling and a horrible drop ceiling. The drop ceiling is unlevel and the panelling has to go... That's the easy part.

My question is - The house is approx 30' wide, there is one jack post supporting the main beam, (4 laminated 2 x 8's) right in the middle of our recroom! How do I know if I can move it?

It is about 8' from the exterior wall. and that is the only jack post supporting the beam.

Shouldn't the post be closer to the center of the house?

Auric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:50 AM   #2

Pics ?

Quite possible someone else removed other posts..spaced ~8' apart
Beam could be slowly sagging as a result

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scuba_Dave For This Useful Post:
Auric (08-07-2010)
Old 08-07-2010, 11:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
Pics ?

Quite possible someone else removed other posts..spaced ~8' apart
Beam could be slowly sagging as a result
I'll take some pics and send your way.

I thought the same thing. There is a 2x4 wall that runs along about 15' of the beam to enclose our laundry/furnace room I thought there would have been a post in the wall, but the one side isn't finished and I did not see one.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:23 AM   #4

The wall, if built right...may be supporting part of the beam
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:52 AM   #5

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

How do think it is located improperly? The poor, sloppy job of remodeling could be a clue, but not definite. The beam may be carrying a lot of load and is supported by the post, unless other things (like a stud wall) were carrying some of the load. Unfortunately, your description does not provide enough information on the beam span and distance to other exterior walls. You are referring to our "rec room", but that was not a room when the home was permitted and built prior to the finishing done later - many things could be hidden.

You could move the post, but how do you support it? Certainly a basement floor not enough.

As the other posters mentioned, there might have be other original posts that were removed and an illegal, unpermitted wall put up. That might be "enough" for the time being, but not right for a beam in the middle of a 30' wide house. Doing something else to alter a bad remodel is just asking for some problems, especially when it is supposedly the only support for the house.

The only solution is to have an engineer look at the situation and give alternates. After that, decide if you want to leave it as-is, tackle a new concrete footing or have a contractor do it. You should not be surprised if there a few minor cracks in the drywall as the load support is changed.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to concretemasonry For This Useful Post:
Auric (08-07-2010)
Old 08-07-2010, 12:22 PM   #6

Ah ha!

After further investigation I found the second jack post, located about 8'-10' from the other exterior wall. There is one small section in the laundry room that is drywalled but the ceiling is not finished in that area, so I stuck my hand in and found the metal post attached to the beam.

Now that I see that, I don't believe the 2x4 wall is carrying much of the load, but as concretemasonry suggests, I will require an engineer to look at it.

The rec room is roughly 15 x 20 ' with the jack post almost smack in the middle of the room.

I think I'll forgo moving the post and continue on with the other renovations that will improve the basement and not have any structural impact on the house, or the pocket book.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:38 PM   #7

Thats likely a good decision, to leave the post as is!

Wherever there's a post, it must have a footing. It cannot just rest on the floor.
To move it to new location, the floor would have to broken out, a new footing established and the floor replaced.

There are lots of creative idea's out there, to disguise basement posts.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:15 PM   #8
Shut in w/o Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
Thats likely a good decision, to leave the post as is!

Wherever there's a post, it must have a footing. It cannot just rest on the floor.
To move it to new location, the floor would have to broken out, a new footing established and the floor replaced.

There are lots of creative idea's out there, to disguise basement posts.
Don't do what I did. I painted one with invisible paint and forgot it was there. Man that smarted.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeyou View Post
Don't do what I did. I painted one with invisible paint and forgot it was there. Man that smarted.
You should have painted yourself, all over, then you could have walked right through it!

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote