Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Moving a Garage

My uncle needs to move his garage that has been in place for 40 years due to the fact that the forest preserve claims it is 3 feet on their property... So, either he has to tear down and build new or possibly move the garge 3 feet forward. How do I find a business that does this type of work? When I search the internet I find movers as in packing and moving to a new home or garage sales.... Any ideas and any pros and cons of moving vs. rebuilding? Thanks so much!

mmtr101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Moving a Garage

Quote:
that has been in place for 40 years due to the fact that the forest preserve claims it is 3 feet on their property...
Ayuh,... Tell the forest preserve to go pound salt....

40 years is Too late to fix it....

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bondo For This Useful Post:
AndyGump (01-12-2012)
Old 01-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Moving a Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmtr101 View Post
...his garage that has been in place for 40 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiki
Adverse possession is a process by which premises can change ownership. It is a common law concept concerning the title to real property (land and the fixed structures built upon it). By adverse possession, title to another's real property can be acquired without compensation, by holding the property in a manner that conflicts with the true owner's rights for a specified period.
source

Find a local RE attorney to write them a letter.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2

Moving a Garage

I googled "illinois move a house" and got a number of hits, including a company called Wolfe that seems to have experience.

Pros and cons of moving versus rebuilding. Unless the garage has sentimental value (doubtful), the decision as to move, rebuild, or raze the building is entirely a function of cost. The cost to move a building cannot be estimated via an internet chat forum, you need to get bids from one or more companies (like Wolfe) who specialize in the practice of moving buildings. Similarly, the cost to rebuild is best obtained by getting bids from local construction companies. Remember to include in the bid the cost to remove the existing foundation, if that is part of the project.

As to the question of whether your uncle in fact does have to remove the building, that is a potentially complex legal matter that certainly cannot be determined via an internet chat forum, but requires competent legal counsel.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #5

Moving a Garage

Check these out:

http://www.amariandlocallo.com/pdf/R...on_Article.pdf

http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/wh...se-276577.html

Not really legal advice, but a good basis. Sounds like you would have a case since it is over 20 years, which seems to be the big hurdle. I would talk to a lawyer though on this one. Sometimes though state entities are exempt from this, so just be careful.

You could also try and buy the extra 3-5 feet from the state. It might increase your taxes a little, but cheaper than moving or rebuilding it.
jimmyfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:23 PM   #6
Coconut Pete's paella!

Moving a Garage

Yeah - call a lawyer, not a house mover.
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #7
Disabled wood vet

Moving a Garage

Cut 3 feet off the garage if possible.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy S2
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:01 PM   #8
Hardcore DIY'er

Moving a Garage

Call a lawyer. The forest preserve had 40 years to make a request and only recently decided. I believe your grandfather has adversely taken ownership of that said 3 feet of space. I have a neighbor who has a garage partially on his property. Cant do anything about it because its been there for 30+ years.

EvilNCarnate is offline   Reply With Quote