Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2011, 12:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Moving an exterior cinder block wall

We purchased a home in So Cal, built in 1952, cinder block construction. It is in a U shape and we want to push out one of the walls to make it a rectangle and expand a room. However, we've been told that in order to do that, the whole roof will have to come off and all the cinder block will have to be re-enforced before we can move a wall to bring it all up to current code. There are no cracks in the masonry anywhere on the house, it has been well cared-for. Do we have to re-enforce the whole house and completely remove the roof, or is this someone just trying to get work and money out of us? (and trying to scare us) We do realize that a professional must do most of this work, but finding information on what we want to do isn't proving to be easy.

Last edited by usnfamily; 11-05-2011 at 01:01 PM. Reason: mis-spelling
usnfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:21 PM   #2
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 546
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

What is the rational behind the roof having to come off?
Is the center court yard going to be roofed and turned into living space?
A lot depends on where you are too. What city are you in?

Andy.

AndyGump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:58 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Posting photos of the current situation and a diagram of the proposed changes are needed to answer these questions.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:27 AM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,204

USNfamily building codes have changed since 1952. Basically you will need an engineer and architect. As for the wall, new footings would have to be poured, before the masons can put up the new wall. And yes, most likely that means rebar interconnected in the footings, and ran vertical through the new wall.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:44 AM   #5
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,286

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnfamily View Post
We purchased a home in So Cal, built in 1952, cinder block construction. It is in a U shape and we want to push out one of the walls to make it a rectangle and expand a room. However, we've been told that in order to do that, the whole roof will have to come off and all the cinder block will have to be re-enforced before we can move a wall to bring it all up to current code. There are no cracks in the masonry anywhere on the house, it has been well cared-for. Do we have to re-enforce the whole house and completely remove the roof, or is this someone just trying to get work and money out of us? (and trying to scare us) We do realize that a professional must do most of this work, but finding information on what we want to do isn't proving to be easy.
USN....since your in my neck of the woods.....I have an architect that can give you a solid answer. Guy knows his stuff...he used to swing a hammer before the pencil.

I have to agree with all of the above. Roof coming off is a bit drastic.....here, a common thing is what is called "California Framing".

Side note....are you saying that one of your exterior walls on the house is cinder block? Don't see that much here.

For reference....the moment you start adding on to an existing house, parts of that house will have to be brought up to current code....like in my case, I'm adding a 2-story addition....I had to install addition anchors in some existing walls that the addition attaches to. The bedrooms in the addition have to have AFIC breakers...but I don't have to change the existing bedrooms.

What city are you in? I might be able to point you in a good direction for other help.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:31 AM   #6
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 546
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
USNfamily building codes have changed since 1952. Basically you will need an engineer and architect. As for the wall, new footings would have to be poured, before the masons can put up the new wall. And yes, most likely that means rebar interconnected in the footings, and ran vertical through the new wall.
Not necessarily true (about need the Architect and/or engineer) although it might be a good idea depending on their situation and what they want to do. (Hey, I'm a designer, it's what I do.)
If they are located in a seismic D zone then engineering would be required for anything above one story. I think they only have one story here. There are prescriptive masonry walls in the CRC.
Definitely they will need plans for permits and such, and a good design for the construction. I just wonder what the intention is for the roof lines.

Andy.

Last edited by AndyGump; 11-06-2011 at 10:33 AM.
AndyGump is online now   Reply With Quote