Moving An Enclosed Deck - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-10-2006, 08:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Moving an enclosed deck

Hi all.

I have to move my enclosed deck so that the contractor can come in and do the weeping tile. It is built like an octagon, but with only five sides - 26' where it meets the house and 14' 3" where it is furthest away from the house. It extends 13' out from the house.

It is a split level with a hot tub in the lower level. The difference in levels is 26".

The lower level is 48 " off the ground, while the upper level is 58" off the ground (obviously the lawn has a definate slope!).

I was thinking of removing the hot tub and building a (well braced) wall so that the floor of the higher level is brought down to equal that of the lower level. Then I would drop the structure onto some skids and pull it away with a machine.

When dropping it down on to the skids, I think that I can walk it down with hydrolic bottle jacks by lowering each side a few inches at a time. I would have (probably) two temporary support blocks on two sides of the structure (3' lengths of 12" - 16" blocks and 2"x4" blocks for shims).

Does that sound like a plan or is there a better way to do it?

The roof is somewhat complex and it would be easier to move than to disassemble the roof, walls, etc.

Thanks for any help!

Chris

Advertisement

cjcocn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 11:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Moving an enclosed deck

I would be scared to give you advice.

Advertisement

robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 02:04 AM   #3
renovations

Rewards Points: 250

Moving an enclosed deck

How deep is the weeping tile? If it's only a few feet you could do what you suggest, but it is not gonna be easy, or fun, or cheap and pulling it away with a machine is one thing, pushing it back is another. Has anyone thought of the old-fashioned method? Hire a few teenagers and give them shovels and let them show off to each other how hard they can work. We're so used to do everything with machines that we forget they are a fairly recent invention and are not always the best tool. I bet you could do it faster, cheaper, neater by hand and leave the deck where it is than you could do it by machine once you factor in moving what is a fairly large structure that is going to suffer some damage with your efforts. Good luck.
Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 09:11 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Moving an enclosed deck

Bonus

The weeping tile has to go down about 4 1/2' - 5' and we have a high water table, so digging by hand would be a chore. That silt is pretty sticky when wet and 3/4 of the time would be spent trying to get the junk off the shovel (I removed a few stumps by hand and found that out).

There is a concrete pad underneath the hot tub to contend with as well. I am not sure what kind of shape it is in as the previous owners seem to have poured the concrete in stages? It appears to be in chunks, but I will not know for sure until I get to that point.

I had considered lowering it on to dollies, but have concerns that the wheels would sink - if they sank on one side only I would lose the building as it would tip off the dollies (depending on how deep the wheels sank).

Sorry I didn't include this info in my first post.

Robert

Do you hesitate to give advice because moving the structure is a dangerous proposition? If that is the case, how do you feel about commenting on my proposed methods? (eg. are bottle jacks the way to go?)

If anyone knows of a site that discusses the moving of structures, could you post the link? I did a google search but didn't come up with anything.

Thanks!

Chris

PS ... I was also considering sacrificing the roofing material (shingles, tar paper) and diagraming it, then marking and dismantling the roof, dismantling the walls in sections (these are light), and then the floor in two sections. That would make it a lot safer.

PPS ... to get the whole structure back to the house, I thought that pushing on each individual skid with the excavator bucket would work, although there would be a lot of moving around for the machine as each side would only be moved about 1' per push on the respective skid.

CJ
cjcocn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 12:26 PM   #5
renovations

Rewards Points: 250

Moving an enclosed deck

I still think digging by hand is the way to go, but whatever. Look for House Movers, couple of steel beams, jacks, dollies, move.

Alternative: Think crane, beams, spreaders, lift.
Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote