Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2011, 12:29 PM   #1

Share |

Moving Cabin from crawlspace foundation to slab

New to the forum - looks like a great resource!

I am in the process of moving a cabin (36 x 24 single story) in northern MN from a crawlspace foundation to a monolithic slab foundation. We are putting the slab directly in back of the existing foundation and moving the cabin on to it. My question.

The cabin has a traditional floor system - 2 x 10 floor joists. What would be the best way to set this on the slab?

Ideally, I would like to remove the floor joists and set the frame of the cabin directly on the slab. This would give me a concrete floor. This seems complicated.

If I keep the floor joists what would be the best method to set this on the new slab? I assume I cannot just set the joists directly on the concrete? The current joists are not pressure treated.

As additional information - I will be completely remodeling the cabin after it is moved (Including removing the subfloor).

Hopefully my questions are clear and thanks in advance for the help!

rgood44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:50 PM   #2
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Well a lot depends on how your floor and your walls systems are constructed.

I am assuming there are bottom plates for the walls that sit atop a sub-floor decking material, (ply, diagonal 1x?) That are nailed to FJs (floor joist).

I might start by re-enforcing the walls for shear while moving, suspend the structure in some way (many different ways) remove the sub-floor and FJs.

Install new pressure treated (PT) sill plates on the slab with the appropriate hold-downs long enough to go thru the new sill and the old sill plates.

These are just vague suggestions I know but your question lacked any specificity also.

Andy.

AndyGump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:37 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

The best way is to number all of the logs, and reverse the process that was used to put it together. Log cabins are a creature of their own, and just moving them can be enough to cause the logs to shift, and the chinking to pop out. I would suggest contacting the company that built this home, or talk to a architect that is familiar in this type of construction.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote