Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2007, 08:21 AM   #1

Share |

Moving a bearing wall

I have a ranch home built in 1988. I want to move the center wall over 5' to allow for a larger family room. The length of the wall section to be moved is about 18'. This center wall is supproting the ceiling joist overlaps. No storage or anything is above, just dead attic space. The ceiling joists are 2x8 spanning about 14' from outside wall to center wall. There are no collar ties. There are knee walls. There are ridge poles but not over the affected area. Do I need a beam/header or can I reinforce the overlaps with additional 2x8s lag screwed at the overlap and extended to the new wall? Maybe also install a strongback above the overlaps for additional sagging prevention? I am really trying to avoid the beam install.

towers22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:46 AM   #2

Moving a bearing wall

For that long length, you'll need to install a double LVL that's bolted together and the ceiling joists can be support by joist brackets. That's the only safe and secure solution.

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:04 AM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Moving a bearing wall

Towers,

You should consult an engineer about this whole project prior to doing anything. This project also falls under a building permit requirement, so what ever you do, will require initial approval by the local building inspectional services dept. .... and an engineer's calculations (maybe even an engineer's stamp).....on the planned structural changes and upgrades ...
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote