Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-28-2012, 07:58 AM   #1

Share |

Moving 9x9 Shed

Hi I am looking for ideas on how I can lift and move a 9x9 shed I have in the middle of my yard. It is constructed of 2x4's and what not. It stands about 8' high. It is also sitting on a concrete slab, but it is not bolted to the slab itself. I will need to have it lifted about 2' off the ground in order to clear a well point (or if not possible, I suppose I could cut the well point).

Thanks

Pharand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:09 AM   #2
Civil Engineer

Moving 9x9 Shed

If you are not moving it very far, and can tolerate some damage, you might consider using a heavy duty forklift truck. If you have to move it off your property, you need a flatbed truck. I have seen similar sheds moved by lifting one side, sliding a steel beam under, lifting the other side, and completing the slide of the steel beam so it spans the entire shed. Usually need at least two beams, possibly a third in the middle. This only works if you have a good sill beam on two sides,but since you have given no details of the construction, it is impossible to say if this technique could work with your shed.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:34 AM   #3

Moving 9x9 Shed

take it apart ?
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #4

Moving 9x9 Shed

If it where not for the well head, I've lifted them using two farm jacks and rolled the shed on 4" PVC pipe by myself.
Any way to get a roll back truck close enought to move it?
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Ravenworks (05-28-2012)
Old 05-28-2012, 10:48 PM   #5

Moving 9x9 Shed

I think you should be able to make it glide over some lumber. Can use some jacks to place it over the lumber and to prop the lumber forward in increments. For the well head, I would get a bobcat to help lift one side of the structure as needed. I would put sacrificial 2x6 under the walls where the bobcat will lift. You need a good bobcat operator and a few guys.
I would nail some pieces of 2x4 on the floor plate corners to reinforce during the move.

The alternative is a beer party with a dozen strong, very thirsty guys, lifting wall as it clears well. A prudent move would be to buy the beer after operation is complete :-)
rdy2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #6

Moving 9x9 Shed

The well head is no longer an issue...
The shed has no (attached) floor, it is just walls and a roof.

My plan is to maneuver the shed so that the well head will clear through the shed door.

I want to "roll" the shed to its new location (about 40' away).
My plan is to build a flat dolly using 3/4" plywood and castors, for each of the four corners of the shed. Then lay down tracks of 3/4" plywood 2' x 4' for it to roll.

Now I don't know if the 'dolly's' will be able to support the weight of the shed. Or why type of castors I should use.

???
Pharand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:06 PM   #7
AHH, SPANS!!!

Moving 9x9 Shed

We moved our 12 x12 shed 30' with 2x4 16' layed flat on the ground with a couple of rebar driven through them into the earth and my truck and winch. we winched/slid it along the 2x4s, (hindsight, should have used 4x4 for ground clearance ). because our shed did not have a floor system, before it was moved I built an x-type 2x6 bracing and 2x6 bracing along door wall inside the building to help it keep its squareness while being slid. this especially with double door buildings.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #8

Moving 9x9 Shed

If is is just a matter to roll it over, joecaption's idea of using 4" PVC pipe as rollers may have some merit.

rdy2go is offline   Reply With Quote