Move A Non-load Bearing Wall - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2010, 06:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Move a non-load bearing wall

There is a wall placed roughly in the middle of my basement/garage that I would like to move about 5 feet. I know for a fact that this wall is not load bearing and has no electrical running through it. I was wondering what the easiest/best way to move it would be. Any and all links and tips would be helpful. I have tried doing online searches but I have not been able to find anything that is overly helpful. Thanks

Advertisement

bbdick_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:40 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

A couple of football players from your local h.s., and let them have at it. Helps to have a sawzall & a good heavy sledge.

Advertisement

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:58 PM   #3

That is sort of what I was thinking. Does this sound like a good set of steps or am I over simplifying it.

1) Use sawzall to cut the nails to the floor, ceiling, and perpendicular wall.
2) Use brute force to move wall to desired spot
3) Toenail the wall into the ceiling and floor
Old 09-23-2010, 08:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 260

As much fun as it is to bull moose the wall to where you want it some more planning is required.Any idea why this wall was placed there in the first place?You mention basement/garage.Is this a fire stop wall?Which direction do the ceiling joists run?Will the wall be on concrete after the move or wood floor in the garage?If you do move the wall I recomend slowly so the football team doesn't get hurt if the wall falls.
daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:51 AM   #5

The wall was put up to create a separation in the garage. The past owner used part of the basement as a bedroom. The entire floor is made of concrete. I am unsure about the direction of the joist. The room is fairly narrow and long, about 15x30, with the wall cutting the room to about 15x20 and 15x10. I want to only move a section of the wall to make a partial wall, so the wall will remain floor to ceiling but not cover the entire width of the room.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:10 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 260

Is any of this space still used as garage?Perhaps this wall was created to support the garage joists to make a legal living space.

Advertisement

daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement , move , wall