Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2012, 08:42 AM   #1

Share |

mounting to metal studs

Wasn't really sure where to post this.... I've hit a snag while installing horizontal blinds. I have a situation where there seems to be some sort of metal stud header or metal duct running through the ceiling where I need to mount the brackets for the blinds. Where the wall and ceiling meet there seems to be a 2" SOMETHING running along the horizontal. **see very very VERY crude drawing attached. I'm really not 100% sure what it actually is, all I know is that once my drill gets through the drywall, I hit some sort of metal obstruction. I would open up the wall BUT I have a rental apartment....

So my question is 1. Do I take my chances and just screw through the thing assuming its a stud? Any ideas of anything it could be besides a stud?? There is no plumbing or HVAC vents along that wall. 2. If it is indeed a stud, how can I anchor the brackets? I obviously can't just drill a screw through and be done with it... don't want the thing to come crashing down! 3. I thought of wall mounting the brackets but have no idea how to mount to the adjacent walls if one is indeed a masonry wall and the other a column enclosure. I'm nervous to just go start drilling holes.....

Thanks alot for your help. Really need these darn blinds to go up stat! And not too handy either.... my crude drawing comes from a design background but my knowledge of actual construction is minimal.

THANKS!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
mounting to metal studs-window-detail.jpg  

Seven77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:10 AM   #2

mounting to metal studs

There could be a metal stud plate installed to protect wire or plumbing pipe going thru.

mstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
retired union carpenter

Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

mounting to metal studs

could simply be a joist hanger?
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blinds, metal stud, mounting bracket