Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2011, 10:47 PM   #1

Share |

Mounting a Joist Mount Pull Up Bar in Basement

Need some input to know if what I plan to do is safe. Looking to find a way to mount a pull up bar in basement. Found a product below that mounts to the basement joists. However, my joists are 2x8 in a 50 year old house and even though I'm not huge (165lbs), the thought of that makes me nervous.

So my idea which I'm hoping adds reinforcement to support the bar (and me) is to take 2x8 lumber and build two cross braces between the joist spaces I plan to mount it. I'm thinking I would even double stack the 2x8 so it would in actuality be about 3" thick. I would then attach this block to the adjacent floor joists with 3" screws - plenty of them. Then I would mount the pull up bar to the newly attached 2x8 cross brace blocks. Did me doing this accomplish anything? Is any additional support needed? If it won't work, it won't work - I'm just trying to explore all options at the moment. I've attached a drawn picture of what I envision.

Attached Files
File Type: doc Doc11.doc (24.0 KB, 112 views)

Atskodinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:10 PM   #2
Too Old

If the joists are not rotted I think you are going "over kill". If it makes you want to work out more then go for it, as long as you secure the bar properly then what is the actual weight on the joist,165#right,, If you walk on the floor above what is the load?? 165# so if the floor can't hold the amount you have more problems then trying to work out in the basement

Old 08-05-2011, 11:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalife View Post
If the joists are not rotted I think you are going "over kill". If it makes you want to work out more then go for it, as long as you secure the bar properly then what is the actual weight on the joist,165#right,, If you walk on the floor above what is the load?? 165# so if the floor can't hold the amount you have more problems then trying to work out in the basement
Thanks for the feedback. That was one of my thoughts too - am I just overthinking this one and worrying too much about having a joist crack on me? Joists are in pretty good shape - I mean they are holding up the floor. Some joists have some stress cracks in them, but if I were to just mount the bar to a joist I would obviously pick one that looked to be in the best shape.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:01 AM   #4

I wouldn't worry about it.

I had that same bar a few years back when I was heavy into lifting. At the time I was doing bodyweight (170lb) +65 lbs hanging. The joist never flinched
GottaFixIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:52 AM   #5

Well that's comforting - I guess it doesn't really make a difference that the joist is only a 2x8? Starting to sound like I can just mount it how they design and not worry about it.