Mounting 4x4 Wood Post To Concrete Porch - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-27-2010, 09:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

mounting 4x4 wood post to concrete porch

I have a concrete front porch with medal post holding up the porch roof. I want to replace the medal post with 4x4 wood post and put up raillings. I am not sure how the mount the wood post to the concrete porch. Any help would be appreciated.

Advertisement

pshinaults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:53 PM   #2
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,040

mounting 4x4 wood post to concrete porch

If you are asking about mounting the bottom of the 4 x4 to the concrete porch, there are various ways. This will depend on whether or not you want to see any mounting plate or just the post meeting the concrete of the porch. There are many types of mounting plates which the post will sit on and the attach to the concrete, leaving some gap at the bottom to prevent water from building up under the post. I have used a method of drilling into the post, drilling into the concrete, and then screwing a large lag bolt into the post, cutting off the head, and installing the bolt into the hole in the concrete with some epoxy to prevent it from shifting. Whatever the customer wants. Using proper support techniques to lift and hold up the porch will be the main concern here while doing the work. David

Advertisement

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote