Mount Cabinetry To CB Foundation Walls? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2010, 11:35 AM   #1
Citrix & Cisco Ops

Rewards Points: 75

Mount cabinetry to CB foundation walls?

Howdy,

My wife and I are in the process of finishing one room of our already-mostly-finished basement, which pretty much only needs sheetrock and floors.

We're keeping two cinder block foundation walls exposed to the room, in order to prime them and let her do some De Stijl painting on the blocks.

My wife is a CAD jockey for a kitchen designer, and a client recently offered to sell us a floating corner bar set that's getting tossed out with their remodel. It'd be a great fit in the basement.

So, my question

The corner bar set consists of about 20" height of floating base cabinetry, and about 30" height of wall cabinetry. Unsure of cab depth, but it's definitely under 12".

What are my options if I want to mount this shebang on a foundation wall? Do I need a plywood backer? Am I putting myself at huge risk of water entry?

Basement is bone-dry, haven't had a seep since we bought the place even during record-breaking rainfall last year.

Thanks!

Advertisement

RedHelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:58 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

One way or the other, holes need to be drilled in the block wall to hang the cabinets, unless you can suspend them from the ceiling.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 31

Either attach right to the wall with tapcons or first attach 2x4's to the wall horizontally and then you can screw into the 2x4.
jegolopolli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by jegolopolli View Post
Either attach right to the wall with tapcons or first attach 2x4's to the wall horizontally and then you can screw into the 2x4.
This ^^^, but make them treated 2x4s
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:58 PM   #5
Electrician

Rewards Points: 75

How about framing a small wall the width of the cabinetry? You can attach this wall to the floor with some tapcons and to the joists with nails.
VersaBar is offline   Reply With Quote