Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2010, 12:21 PM   #1

Share |

The most economical house width .. ?

Are there standard widths to consider when choosing a house design that would make the construction costs most economical in relation to lumber costs, rafter size, wall height... etc

I am looking at building (or having built) a two story cabover , If you google Penrod, this home is very close to what I am after. I would like to know if there is a width that would be best to use if I wanted to go wider than 30 feet.

Ragman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:44 PM   #2

You might want to research manufactured housing to minimize material waste.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:13 AM   #3

Remember when we used to laugh a pre-fab housing? A few years ago I checked into Nelson Homes, as my son was starting to build and I wanted to get it over with, but do a good job. I went around and looked at several of their houses, and was impressed. Window and door RO's were rectangular, all studs were cut off square, wood was quality, etc. When you think about it, if a plant gives a fat rat's, why can't they knock out a wall better than a person can from scratch? I have not looked at other manufacturers, but I would sure look into some if I were putting up a somewhat standard house. I have no idea if they do double-wall, super-insulated, etc, but if you are doing a stick house with one wall, one of the pre-fab places may be able to deliver walls that a few folks can stand up in a few days. Nelson provides (or did) everything to get you weather proof, and if you can do that quickly w/ quality stuff, that is worth a fortune.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote