Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-05-2010, 09:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Morten Building Post Heave

After 2 winters 1 post support in my new Morten building rose 1 inch. Since the post is near the door frame of a double door, the doors are misaligned with the door frame. The door nearest the elevated post won't shut or open without much force, and the door farest from post has a gap between it and the frame.

What is the best way to repair the door problem?

How can I relower the support post again? I've improved the drainage in the clay soil so I hope to avoid additional heave damage next winter.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Glueall20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:56 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,082

I am not clear what a Morten building is, was it built by a contractor with the name Morten, or is it a style of building? A full description would be helpful.

In order to make sense of your issue, we will need a complete description of the exact method of installation of the post. How deep in the ground, what type of material, size, is it embedded in concrete, that sort of thing.

I suspect you do not have clay soil, since clay soil does not drain, and cannot easily be improved to drain, and clay soil does not heave. You may have silty soil, which is similar looking to clay, but has completely different mechanical properties. You can distinguish silt from clay because clay will ribbon out between your fingers to a long, thin filament, while silt will not. I suggest you perform this simple test, since solutions for clay soil foundation issues are completely different than solutions for silty soils.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

my google-fu tells me a Morten building is just a steel building. They talk about thier engineering and crews, knowing how to do it right.
if thats the case, its on them. tell them to fix it.

if you put it up yourself, sounds like you didn't go deep enough with your footings. better drainage will help, but the real solutuion is to have your footings below the frost line. too late for all that without taking it apart and redoing the foundation. I really cant think of a good way to lower a frost surged footing. I would say, get a steel worker to cut the beam, then reweld it. but that sounds very iffy to me if you are talking a main corner post or something. Maybe if its an endwall verticle. Another option might be to lower all the horizontals tying into the verticle in question. Either way, its just a bandaide on the symptom, not the cure.

you should research a frost-protected shallow foundations. basically you burry some foam pannel insulation around the foundation to keep it from freezing under you too shallow foundation

Last edited by forresth; 06-05-2010 at 11:29 PM.
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote